Bushwhack Mt. Flume to Lincoln Brook Trail 7/29/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
The idea was to see if getting to Owl's Head from Flume made sense - the bottom line is that it's faster to go around the Osseo Trail-Lincoln Woods Trail to get to Lincoln Brook Trail and Owl's Head. It took me 4 1/2 hours to navigate the thick woods. Lincoln Slide seems like the best option from Franconia Ridge. It was a beautiful day with no rain and the sun came out after 9am.

After following the ridge (going north-east from Mt. Flume) for 2 hours whacking and descended 350 vertical feet in the process I decided to get of the ridge to the north in hope for better terrain and wanting to get to Lincoln Brook Trail closer to Owl's Head. Since it got steeper, gravity was on my side at least. But the undervegetation and the dense woods made it quite an ordeal. In the next two hours I made it down another 1,200 vertical feet where it got a little less steep and it somewhat opened up. This is a section where you want to make sure you don't take a bad fall because no one can find you here easily. You have to use your hands to push aside the undervegetation see if you have a 10 foot vertical, a blowdown, slippery rock or safe ground underneath. And you come to many sections where you simply can't proceed because the pine trees are too close or a pileup of blowdowns. There were plenty of "minicaves" suitable for hibernating bears as well. Glasses are helpful since you have branches in your face all the time. I don't think I ever had so much pine needles stuck on me and inside my clothing.

I followed the left side of the creek once down at the bottom of the valley. Soon I came onto an abandoned logging road and life became very pleasant. The logging road split in two about 1/4 mile before I reached Lincoln Brook Trail. I took the right logging road here. The left went up over a little hill. The right logging road stopped in what seemed to be a campsite.

A couple of hundred yards after the campsite the Lincoln Brook Trail appeared. The section where you are in a trench with the wooden logs from the railroad visible. I'm guessing about a mile from the Owl's Head cutoff. Ran into a guy with a beautifully homemade wooden trekking pole. The water level in the two creek crossings was low enough to keep feet dry. It felt so good to be on a trail with no obstacles so I ran back to Lincoln Woods. Fell once on Lincoln Woods Trail. Nice and flat trail with sudden obstacles.....good excercise in paying attention to the trail :)

Soooo.... I recommend don't whack Flume to Lincoln Brook Trail.......

Did you bushwhack right off the summit?

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.12129&lon=-71.61555&size=l&u=0&datum=nad27&layer=DRG25

I would have at least started from the col between Flume and Liberty. It also looks like the ridge dropping off Liberty would be more straightforward, heading directly for the Owl's Head slide. Maybe it would be better to drop down to the col and head NNE until you're on the crest of the ridge. If there are any moose trails out there, that would be the first place I'd look. Unfortunately, the moose have stopped using blazes since the humans designated that area as Wilderness about 20 years ago... I bet it would be real "primitive".

Nice trip ! I remember looking at pretty open woods from the col between Flume and Liberty, but hey, you never know before you get in there !

Mats Roing said:
You have to use your hands to push aside the undervegetation see if you have a 10 foot vertical, a blowdown, slippery rock or safe ground underneath. And you come to many sections where you simply can't proceed because the pine trees are too close or a pileup of blowdowns. .....

I believe you, this is pretty much what I found looking for the top of Lincoln Slide, and it took me 25 minutes to do 0,1 mi !!

Let's see : 4,5 hours from flume to Lincoln Bk tr, VS 5h via Lincoln Slide... And I am not very fast off-trail, plus a walk above tree line and down a slide is certainly more pleasant !!

albee said:
Did you bushwhack right off the summit?

Hi Al,

I took off from the little sub-summit 0.1 miles north of Flume summit. After you come down the trail towards Liberty the trail start to go up another 8-10 feet or so. Took off to the right and followed the ridge right on top until I decided start to loose some elevation. I talked to Steve Smith about it and he said that if you continue for a while on the ridge you get to a rock ledge with some actual views. Never made it that far on the ridge.

Maybe it would have saved me a couple of hours to start from the col between Liberty and Flume.....my theory for going from 4,175 feet on FLume was that it would be easier to follow a ridge. The reason to go from Flume and not Liberty is that I have this plan to hike all 48 in one go unsupported and I will be coming from Cannon going over to Lafayette and down Franconia Ridge...then I wanted to get to Owl's Head before heading up to Garfield. Day 1 would be Moosilauke to Kinsmanns to Cannon. Day 2 would be Franconia Ridge, Owl's Head to Garfield and stay at Garfiled Campsite. Maybe a better option is to come down Cannon and stay at Lafayette campground and then up Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette and then down Lincoln Slide to Owl's Head. I'm gonna have a pretty heavy pack with 10 days worth of food to start with so maybe another option is to put the heavy pack on my chest and power through the woods to Lincoln Brook like a truck ;)

Lincoln Slide - go for the north prong

timmus said:
I believe you, this is pretty much what I found looking for the top of Lincoln Slide, and it took me 25 minutes to do 0,1 mi !!
Folks contemplating the Lincoln Slide should be aware that it is much easier to connect with the north prong of the slide from a bit north of North Lincoln than to head for the main slide - even though it looks so inviting and so close - from the col.

A few years ago I hit the north prong (based on advice from Frodo and Stinkyfeet who scouted the route for their winter record 48). Just north of North Lincoln is a rocky knoll on the east side of the trail. If you move around this you can circle around almost entirely on open rocks and get within a few yards of the tip of the north prong (just don't step on the Diapensia please),

Here's the stepping off point from the ridge (note, my bandanna is no longer there :) )

adq.sized.jpg

And here's the scene after you circle around that knoll:

adr.sized.jpg

Here you are close and you can see the north prong:

adt.sized.jpg

And as they say, it's all down hill from here:

adw.sized.jpg

I'd say 5 -10 minutes from the ridge to the top of the slide.

Now getting out of the bottom of the slide, that's something else. ...

Last edited:
papa - I went up the lincoln slide last year and and we headed through bit a boulder feild just below the ridge - went up the slide and then off the right at the end - connected with the ridge and then up to north lincoln. climbing through the boulders kind of sucked - if i recall, I almost fell in b/t 2 and while, not a huge deal, it would have sucked as the hole was about 6 feet deep. Not sure if this is the "normal" way - it would certainly be easier going down this than it was up as you could rock hop down the boulders with gravity on your side. - but even up wasn't that a big deal - just a tad bit of a hassle.

its a fun route, the slide is cake - beats that damn lincoln woods approach to owls head. I went last fall to scout it out for a potential winter snow/ice climb and determined while it would be a nice winter hike, its so low angle, it wouldn't really be worth the approach to climb up - better things out there for that stuff.

Papa Bear said:
Folks contemplating the Lincoln Slide should be aware that it is much easier to connect with the north prong of the slide from a bit north of North Lincoln that to head for the main slide - even though it looks so inviting and so close - from the col.......
....... :) )

Outstanding pix and advice.....already printed the photos out......that's worth at least 20 pushups :)

giggy said:
papa - I went up the lincoln slide last year and and we headed through bit a boulder feild just below the ridge - went up the slide and then off the right at the end - connected with the ridge and then up to north lincoln. climbing through the boulders kind of sucked - if i recall, I almost fell in b/t 2 and while, not a huge deal, it would have sucked as the hole was about 6 feet deep. Not sure if this is the "normal" way - it would certainly be easier going down this than it was up as you could rock hop down the boulders with gravity on your side. - but even up wasn't that a big deal - just a tad bit of a hassle.

its a fun route, the slide is cake - beats that damn lincoln woods approach to owls head. I went last fall to scout it out for a potential winter snow/ice climb and determined while it would be a nice winter hike, its so low angle, it wouldn't really be worth the approach to climb up - better things out there for that stuff.
Hi Giggy

Sounds like a slightly different route. I don't recall any boulders to speak of. As for the boulders in my pictures, I went around them, not over the. The north prong route doesn't go straight down to (or up from) the top of the prong, it circles around from the north. So going down off the ridge as I did you are maybe 50 - 75 yards north of the north prong and you hit it from the side. Most of the way the going is like in my 2nd and 3rd picture.

Climbing up, you would go to the tippy top of the north prong (which would be on the right climbing up) and then hang a right turn. Squeeze through maybe 5 yards of krumholtz and then walk (not jump) north and circle around towards the left till you hit the ridge past the rocky knoll.

That said, as with any off-trail route, a few yards can make a big difference. The key is not to keep going straight up when you get to the top of the slide, go right.

It's easier to do it than to describe it. :)

Last edited: