Transition to long distance hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignslow

Reaction score
I started backpacking when I was in scouts, it was usually a 1 night backpack, carrying a (heavy) pack all weekend in a loop with a bit of elevation change. I started hiking again a few years ago and slowly became that ugly beast "The Peakbagger" :eek: . I will either do dayhikes or hike into a campsite (2-6 miles in) with a full pack.

I've always wanted to get back into distance hikes so this August we're going on a 50+ mile 5 day/4 night hike. Does anyone have any advice for transitioning to this type of hike. The one thing I'm already planning on doing is slowing my pace a little bit, and taking more frequent stops to take care of my feet (sock changes, airing out, etc...).

Anything that struck you as a drastic change?

Pack as light as possible
Carry a small tube of diaper rash cream
Get some Body Glide and use it several times per day
start walking with a pack now to make sure everything works right (including you)
Try to share as much gear as possible.
Don't underestimate the power of a baby wipe on a hot summer day (store them in a ziplock.
Have Fun!

Hey I take offence to your inference ! Ugly beast is in the eyes of the beholder.

As for your question, there are a lot of things that you will notice

The pack weight is a big issue for most. What is a comfortable weight on an overnight becomes significant issue on the second and third days. Try to pare down your gear beforehand. No need to go ultralight but make sure that you really need the stuff you are carrying.

Make sure that the pack fits and that you understand all of the "extra straps". After a day or so it makes a big difference to have all of the features of the pack working with you rather than against you. Of course, inspect the pack and all the straps for any wear and needed repairs prior to the trip. (same for the tent).

Make sure you are ready and willing to put up with rain. A lot of weekend warriors are fairweather hikers. Granted they may get caught in a rainstorm and get soaked, but a warm car and a change or clothes is just a few hour walk. When you commit to a multiday trip, you may get soaked on the first day and have to manage to stay warm with the clothes in your pack until you can dry out. Expect that your shoes can and will get wet and that you will need to hike in them. Hiking in damp socks can chew up even well conditioned feet.

Strongly consider carrying lightweight camp shoes, Crocs are popular but I like my Tevas. Some folks use flip flops. You will want to take off the boots at the end of the day and most campsites are too bony to walk barefoot.

The type of shoes can be an issue. Many folks like myself can get away with trail runners with little or no support on a multiday trip but many other making the transition to multiday backpacks need more support than what they dayhike in.

Plan your food carefully and stick to items that you have had in the past. A multiday trip is no time to find out that the latest and greatest freeze dried meal is unpalatable. Be careful on trusting the portions on the packaging, if in doubt cut it in half. I always carry an extra "emergency" meal, usually a pack of lipton noodle soup that can be used to get warmed up quickly and can be bulked up with a lot of leftovers.

Test any new gear before the trip. The first night of the trip is not the time to figure out how to fire a whisperlight!

Try not to carry too much water. If the water sources are reliable and predictable, there is no need to carry a large amount of spare. Generally the trail guides will indicate reliable versus unreliable sources.

I find that it is good to stop every hour for a short break of a few minutes, its easy to skip the first and second break in the morning, but I find that if I do, I slow down a lot faster in the afternoon.

Good lukc with the transition

We both have croc type footwear, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Also since we have leantos available 3 out of 4 nights we're going from a 2 person free-standing tent, to a tarptent (we both hike with poles, so we have plenty to setup with).
For food i've slowly been experimenting with freezer bag cooking. Every time I make something new I bring a "dinner" portion to work with me for lunch. If I end up stuffed and it tastes good then I know I have a good thing going.

Rick said:
Pack as light as possible
Carry a small tube of diaper rash cream
Get some Body Glide and use it several times per day
start walking with a pack now to make sure everything works right (including you)
Try to share as much gear as possible.
Don't underestimate the power of a baby wipe on a hot summer day (store them in a ziplock.
Have Fun!

Baby wipes are the best

A tendency I've had in the past is you get so much into the hike you only take in calories when you stop and it occurs to you. Now I bring foods that are not only easily accessible but easily eaten while on the move. I no longer have the cramping and soreness at the end of the day, outside normal wear and tear. Now hooked on maple sugar cakes about the size of a normal soup can lid but they are mixed with a bit of corn meal to keep them from getting soupy in the heat.
Even with long-distance hikes, learn to schedule time to stop, look around ,and observe what interests you on the way.
Have a great trip!

Paradox said:
What is body glide?
Where do you get it?
It is a silicon based personal lubricant. In hot weather, I sweat a lot and I get chapped/raw skin between my thighs as well as buttrash (Even though I wear spandex style mid thigh shorts to cut down the rubbing. I apply Body glide and the occurrences of these afflictions drop significantly.
I also use the wipes to keep clean, as I read somewhere that salt from your sweat remains on the skin and also acts as an irritant, contributing to the inflammation.

Another tip - I have 3 screws in my left knee and it tends to swell up a bit so I take 4-6 hundred mgs of ibuprofen as a prophylaxis (prior to any swelling) to keep the swelling down. It is always best to consult your physician first, though.

I also take a couple at night before I turn in - helps me sleep a bit better
(Tylenol also - though Tylenol doesn't help with any swelling).

Honestly, most people will give you physical answers to his question. They may involve conditioning, diet, and a vigorous regimen that you will have to follow for several months. While all of those are important, the biggest component is your heart and mind.

Human bodies are designed to do amazing things when they are scared or determined. It all connects to the fight or flight theory. If you are determined to do something, your physical abilities do not matter so much. A couple of years ago I was kinda freaked out about doing a 17 mile, 4800 foot vertical ascent hike. I did it, and it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. While I was reasonably fit at the time, the things that mattered the most were just determination and fortitude.

So, do not just go out and do it after sitting on your duff for 6 months. Train, run 3-5 miles at a time, do some decent hikes, and then kick some ass!! Thru life, I have learned that nothing is impossible, but the impossible can sometimes become reality if you just expand your mind and change your reality. Set a goal, achieve it, and then re-set your goals. While your synapses may not fire as quickly as when you were young, your wisdom will guide you thru how to do things easier with less wasted energy.

Lots of commonsense advice here, and I will echo peakbagger's comment on
packs being perfect the first day and behaving like an angry monkey the second. And vice versa. Don't hesitate to stop and readjust if needed. Also, dehydrators can be the pathway to delicious light packing meals and snacks. Little Bear has some delicious recipes that ensure she's often in charge of making dinner.

Pacing-
I recently learned the "art" of pacing oneself. I used to think that to go long distances you had to hike as fast as you could, but that isn't the whole truth. You can go really f-ing slow and still make good time- because you can keep going, and you still feel good. It's all about energy conservation.
To quote a dumb movie I just watched, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast".

king tut said:
...the impossible can sometimes become reality if you just expand your mind and change your reality. Set a goal, achieve it, and then re-set your goals. While your synapses may not fire as quickly as when you were young, your wisdom will guide you thru how to do things easier with less wasted energy.
So true. A couple of years ago I paddled and hiked 185 miles across the Adrondacks with a canoe, about a third of the way was on foot. Set very short term goals, the more tired you are the shorter the goals. "The next pond is only a half mile away, I can be there within 20 minutes where I'll take a break." or "That hill I see up ahead, I should be over the top soon, each step gets me closer to the downslope." Add a few of these up and pretty soon you have a whole day's travel behind you.

Put all of your gear on the table two weeks before you go and each night remove one item, you will find that you dont need much when your out there. Dry socks, dry bag, dry tent, oatmeal and rice and your in business.