Castle Trail Mt Jefferson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytmountains

Reaction score
Has anyone been on The Castle Trail Lately?

Looking to do Jefferson Saturday via Castle Trail and I am curious. I have a feeling on what to expect ... a long day. :eek:
And then some!

Thanks for any help.
John

Read a trip report within the past week, probably on the AMC boards. The poster reported breaking trail to the castles and turning around. Yeah, sounds like a long day. Bring your snowshoes.

Click on 'trail conditions' below

and scroll down to "Castle Trail, Jefferson, 2/29/2004"

The forecast for this Saturday will make for a nasty day to do the Castles. The first two thirds of the climb are sheltered from the wind, but once you pop over to the top of the ridge, you will have full exposure to the predicted gusty northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. If you approach it with the attitude that you may have to turn back, you can still have a good day, but summiting might be a challenge.

gusty northwest winds 10 to 20 mph

Thanks Peakbagger,

Our group should be so lucky to encounter winds of that measure.

Actually, I am expecting winds of more in the 40 to 50 mph range, with higher gusts.

We are all somewhat tempered above tree line. Just giving it another try before the "Winter" leaves us. Care to join us?

Thanks for the reply, its appreciated.

Last edited: