Monroe State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
My brother and Law and Nephew decided to scout out an area for a future Boys Scout campout. This area seemed to be a "low use" area and perfect for Boy Scout type trips.

Parking on Raycroft Rd. we decided to hike down Raycroft Rd. Ext. toward the Smith Hollow Trail. We then hiked north on Smith Hollow Tr. toward Ridge Shelter. The shelter was a nice/basic lean-to with a nice clean privy. The water source that was directly next the lean-to looks like it's seen better days. The flow was low and it was very muddy/mucky, almost swamp like. With no good water source near by we moved on.

We hiked north on the trail further when the trail started to decend steeply toward Dunbar Brook. We wanted to scout the wilderness campsites and possibly Dunbar Brook Shelter after hiking down ALOT we decide that it was getting late and did not want to climb back out in the dark.

We hiked back toward Smith Hollow Shelter. My brother and law and nephew where not staying over night, but I was. When we got to the Shelter we scouted for water. There was no water source near by so they gave me their extra water and continued on the short distance to Raycroft Rd. and their truck. I set-up camp at the lean-to. There was a nice fire pit and a pile of wood. I decided to start a fire, being alone from 5pm to the next day didn't pose as a fun idea seeing that I forgot something to read. While starting the fire I found some newspaper stashed away and read some old papers while warming my toes on a nice fire.

After a long day I was dosing off next to the fire and decided to tuck it in. I feel asleep watching the final coals glow (the area was extremely wet around the fire). It was a great end to a nice day with some family I don't get to see all that often. I only hope it's as enjoyable when he brings his scout group out there.

If you are looking for a quiet, low use area Monroe State Park will offer that. The trails are not marked all that well, but I've seen worse. If you have a good map and know how to use a compass you'll be all set.

Be careful to note go down the "trail" next to the power lines. It is not the hiking trail and just brings you way down into the ravine like area toward Smith Brook. We made that mistake and paid for it hiking back up a steep power line trail. The real hiking trail is further down on the right just before the intersection of Raycroft Rd. and Raycroft Rd. Ext (not marked), there is a metal rusted gate at the intersection that was open and seems to remain open most of the time. The trails are marked with blue paint, but power line trail is marked by blue paint as well. Good luck and have fun!!!

pics

cool!

Did you see/visit the Hoosac tunnel when you were there :) What about the virgin forests nearby (characterized by huge trees up to 500 years old)?

This area is not very Massachusetts-ey, isnt it great?