Mt Dartmouth & Millen Hill -- 2/2/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
On Saturday, HikerDoc, mhrsebago, myself and six others met up at Marshfield Station for what would be my first wack of the year (excepting a minor one to the true summit of Willard). This was also the first opportunity I would have to test my GPS unit in the field. We headed down the road and went across the Jewell/Boundary Line Trail which was interesting but annoying with it's ups and downs.

Soon we reached Jefferson Notch Rd and discussed where we ought to head into the woods. It was decided that we ought to maximize our ability to gain elevation in the clear, so we continued up the road until we reached the Caps Ridge trailhead. We saw a lot of snomobilers on the road and they were all very polite to us.

Once at Caps Ridge we left poles and headed into the woods, contouring as best we could. Though things looked like they might be thick from the road, I was happily suprised with just how open they were. Plus the snow was well consolidated so we had great cover with our snowshoes only sinking in a little. After contouring for a good ways, we headed uphill and soon gained the ridge. Following it for a little while we were keeping our eyes peeled for the cannister which in short time we found. We placed bets as to when the last time the register had been signed and I got the month right. It was November 3rd '07 by Arm and Swamp. Hi guys! We signed in, took pictures, and had a bite. After that we followed our tracks back down to where we had started heading up and headed back a ways.

We then talked about hitting the summit of Millen Hill since it's a 3K, we had skirted around it, and the day was still quite young. 7 of 9 (including HikerDoc, mhrsebago, and myself) decided to go for it. A little ways into our climbing we unfortunately found out that our bearing was a little off and that we were heading back up Dartmouth so we changed course and headed toward the col. This was the roughest patch of the day. It was genuinely thick for about 15-20min but then the woods were pretty open once again. A couple hundred feet later we found the jar. Again we signed in, snacked and took pictures.

Now we headed diectly down to our tracks from when we passed by earlier in the day. It was so open it was crazy. Soon, we reached our tracks and popped back out on the road. The rest of the way out was uneventful and kinda boring but good conversation kept things interesting. Overall, it was a great day in the woods and I was thrilled that we went for the extra peak.

Here are some pics!

Thanks for the report and the pics. Hope we can hook up for some more winter BW this season. :cool:

Thanks for the report DoubleBow; sorry that I could not join you guys. I was hoping to follow your route this past week, but work got in the way. Will probably be tough to follow your tracks now, but may give it a try this week.