Campgrounds in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbjette

Reaction score
What are some of your favorite campgrounds?

Links and phone numbers are appreciated as i am trying to find one for memorial day week.

Thanks

Kevin

kjbjette said:
What are some of your favorite campgrounds?
In the white mountains of New Hampshire, in the United States of America, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky Way.

Campground in Twin Mountain

In New Hampshire one of my favorites is Beech Hill Campground on Rt 302 just east of Mount Washington and Crawford Notch. Their web is www.beechhill.com
I've stayed there several times and have always had a pleasant experience. They're right on the Ammonusuc river.

I like Moose Brook Campground and have used it as a base for the Gorham area. swimming, showers, field for tossing a frisbee. No hikes out of the CG but Gorham as a base is unquestionably the ultimate as it offers unlimited choices for hiking.

For isolation (not the mtn.), I like the Wild River Campground. Only 8 sites but about as remote a CG you can get to with an auto in the northeast. No extras, just tables, water pump and outhouse. And of course the Wild River for entertainment. Great base for alot of hiking right out of the CG. The 15 mile Moriah loop from the east right out of the CG is one of the hikes nobody I hear talks about, but is full of fantastic views and I love wading the Wild River at the end of the hike after coming off Shelburne Moriah. At the start, Moriah Gorge is really worth exploring especially at that time of year (mucho water). You can reserve a site in advance at the CG there. This is a National Forest Campground.

Last year I stayed Memorial Day week at Dry River and enjoyed my stay there. Frankenstein Cliff is an interesting circular hike right out of the CG and complete the loop with a descent to Arethusa Falls and down the Bemis Brook Trail. This like Moose Brook & Lafayette are state park CGs. The sites here are very big and private especially those further away from the entrance.

I was going to stay at Campton this summer when I planned on finishing my Whites (all peaks southof the Kan), but when checking it out, my group required showers and two showers for a whole CG (nevermind 8 of us) just don't cut it. So I moved my designated trip CG to the private Pemi River CG, sight unseen. I know they have 5 showers and I read somewhere on the web, they have unlevel sites, but I couldn't tell if that is a factor because they were motor home campers vs pup tent campers. So I take a chance. It is convenient for Waterville Valley & Moosilauke hikes and right off the interstate. I hope the river sites drown out any traffic noise.

I also stayed at Cold River CG south of Evans Notch, which was nice and another out of the way WMNF CG with no frills.

I found Franstead CG in Franconia to be crowded. Small tentsites and not much privaccy. But enjoyed the swimming in the river there.

Big Rock off the Kancamagus was OK but excellent location for hikes to the Hancocks, Flume, Osceolas & Owls Head.

Private CG favorites are:

Branch Brook, Campton: Nicely wooded sites, some riverfront, the best group sites I've seen. Only downside is that it's fairly close to I-93. You don't hear general road noise, but you can hear trucks downshifting.

http://www.campnh.com/

Swain's Brook, Wenworth, NH: Small, way down a dirt road, VERY quiet! Nice brookside tent sites, and private hiking trails. Not very convenient to most trailheads, tho. Website, www.swainbrook.com appears to be down.

USFS/Public:

Russell Pond, Tripoli Road: Waaaaayyy off the beaten path, but beautiful. A few pondside sites.

Campton Campground, Group Area: A few individual sites are in the "Group Area" on the south side of 49. Four of them are on the Mad River. Downside: A good walk back across 49 to the shower. Plus, there is road noise from 49.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure about the toilet/shower facilities at any of these places -- I've either had my RV there or was close enough to shower at home.

I've stayed at the Pemi River campground. They have bigger and smaller sites, if I remember correctly, all are drive-to. Our site was fine for tents, though one ended up in a low spot in the rain (not mine!). The river was just a dozen yards away, and perfect for wading. There were plentiful drinking water spigots. The showers were coin-op and worked fine, along with real toilets.

There were some trailer tents and RV's, but with the sole exception of the idiot who built a huge fire then packed up and left, it was a decent place to stay. I wouldn't object to staying there again (though I'm still more partial to unimproved sites).

Oh... the White Mountains on Earth. Well that narrows it down. I swear the heading wasn't there when I first looked at this thread...

Anywho, I've stayed at Dolly Copp and Dry River campgrounds, on opposite sides of the Presidential Range. Both were nice, but relatively crowded. While Dry River is right on 302, the traffic noise didn't bother us. Dry River had new (very nice) bathroom/shower facility.

rico said:
Oh... the White Mountains on Earth. Well that narrows it down. I swear the heading wasn't there when I first looked at this thread...

That heading was most definatly there before, but no hard feelings. I don't need any problems on this board, as it is a great resource for hiking and camping. Thanks for everyone's help!

Peace,
Kevin