Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortest Continuous Footpath of the New Hampshire 4000'ers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Shortest Continuous Footpath of the New Hampshire 4000'ers

The Challenge: Design the shortest possible route connecting all 48 New Hampshire 4000 foot peaks in an uninterrupted footpath. A minimum of road travel and backtracking win extra style points. ("Dead-end" spur trails won't be considered backtracking)

I'd be curious if anyone knew of or could conceive a shorter path than the following:

( I haven't manually added up the mileage per the AMC guide, but tracing it in the National Geographic TOPO program gave +52,000 feet and about 215 miles - it's probably 10% more than that.)

Start: Mt Cabot TH (if open)

1. Mt. Cabot

Backroads, Rt. 2 to Waumbek TH

2. Mt. Waumbek

Rt. 2 to Dolly Copp Road

Dolly Copp Road to Rt. 16

North on Rt. 16 to Stony Brook TH

3. Mt. Moriah

4. Middle Carter

5. South Carter

6. Carter Dome

7. Wildcat Mt.

8. Wildcat "D"

Ski slope to Rt. 16

North on Rt. 16 to Great Gulf TH

9. Mt. Madison

10. Mt. Adams

11. Mt. Jefferson

12. Mt. Washington

13. Mt. Isolation

14. Mt. Monroe

15. Mt. Eisenhower

16. Mt. Pierce

17. Mt. Jackson

18. Mt. Tom

19. Mt. Field

20. Mt. Willey

Backtrack to A-Z trail, over to Lend-a-Hand Jct.

21. Mt. Hale

22. Mt. Zealand

23. West Bond

24. Mt. Bond

25. Bondcliff

26. South Twin

27. North Twin

28. Mt. Galehead

29. Mt. Garfield

Backtrack to Franconia Brook trail

30. Owl's Head

Lincoln Brook Trail to Franconia Brook Trail to Wilderness Trail to Stillwater Jct.

Desolation Trail

31. Mt Carrigain

Descend Signal Ridge, access Sawyer Pond Trail, Forest Roads to Kancamangus Highway

32. Mt. Passaconaway

33. Mt. Whiteface

34. Middle Tripyramid

35. North Tripyramid

Descend North Slide to Livermore Road

Access Tecumseh Trail

36. Mt. Tecumseh

Continue over Tecumseh summit, descend to Tripoli Road

Up Tripoli Road to Osceola TH

37. Mt. Osceola

38. East Osceola

Greeley Ponds Trail to Kanc, uphill to Hancock TH

39. South Hancock

40. Mt. Hancock

On descent, take Cedar Brook Trail to Wilderness Trail to Osseo Trail

41. Mt. Flume

42. Mt. Liberty

43. Mt. Lincoln

44. Mt. Lafayette

Descend Greenleaf Trail to Kinsman Ridge TH

45. Mt. Cannon

46. North Kinsman

47. South Kinsman

Kinsman Ridge Trail south to Beaver Brook TH

48. Mt. Moosilauke - FINISH
    You donít have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things ó to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Shouldn't you hike the roads, so that it is truly the "shortest continuous 'footpath' "? Did you consider bushwhacking? Or are you watching time?

Get a hold of one of your IE (Ind. Eng.) buddies and run the "traveling salesman" evaluation - must be some software out there that ties in with GPS data.

Happy trails!

(winter hike?)

Re: Shortest Continuous Footpath of the New Hampshire 4000'ers

Interestingly, this came up in the infamous rules discussion last year. The distances cited in the article would have to be adjusted to add 2 peaks.
    Originally posted by Spencer
    Personally I am in favor of the Diretissima approach. I've brought this up several times before and I even planned the trip a couple of years ago. See Appalachia Dec. 71 for a recount of Reverand Folsom's adventure...

Shouldn't you hike the roads, so that it is truly the "shortest continuous 'footpath' "?
    Yes, that's the idea...I should have specified that.

Bushwhacking would certainly be allowed.
    Last edited by Tim Seaver; 04-13-2004 at 06:22 AM.
    You donít have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things ó to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
    Thanks Roy for beating me to the punch...

Rev. Folsom didn't allow for bushwhacking b/c there is no good way to measure distances. He also wasn't out to break or set any records.

Later today, I'll post his order of peaks. One big difference I see off the bat is to head over to Carter-Wildcats from Jefferson (I think).

His route was 240 miles without bushwhacking. As Roy said, you'll have to add a bit to include Bondcliff and Galehead.

I ran some Arc scripts a couple of years ago on the current trails system and couldn't come up with a shorter route than Rev. Folsom's with the necessary additions.

That being said, I'm hoping to do the trip this June. I won't be running it as I assume you will, Tim.

Spencer

I suggest as a first approximation you plug in the locations and minimize the straiht line distances connecting them (the "all bushwhack" scenario). Run it through a traveling salesman program. You may be very surprised if you start with this since the program won't have your biases about what "must" be the best way.

You might get some interesting bushwhacks out of this, worthy of a Guy Waterman. Consider the segment around the Pemi: Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette, Garfield then straight to Galehead (up the back side) then straight to North Twin, South Twin and then straight over to West Bond (that would be a cool bushwhack), Bond, Bondcliff (straight - no following the ridge) then straight to Willey (that one may be a technical rock climb), Field, Tom, etc. Throw in Owls Head somewhere. You get the idea. Pretty wild. Oops, forgot Zealand - whatever, the program will get them all.

Then "smooth" it out using trails when a BW is unreasonable.

Another similar math problem: minimize not the route length but the total elevation gain! That might be a bit more attractive.

I'd be very interested if doing it with a program rather than using our collective experience might result in a route we would never had throught of.

Pb
    Last edited by Papa Bear; 04-13-2004 at 08:34 AM.
    Pb

Papa Bear's Web Site
    Papa Bear's Hundred Highest List
    Peakbagger NE HH Peaks Map
    Papa Bear's Fifty Finest List
    Peakbagger NE FF Peaks Map
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. - Albert Einstein

traveling salesman problem (TSP) route

Should anyone be interested, my husband and I ran a modified TSP program in Matlab on the 48 4K footers in the WMNF. I'm not going to claim this is the best TSP solution - just what we came up with out of interest in the problem.

Open Circuit Loop

Closed Circuit Loop

Edit: To be clear - this is a theoretical route and was calculated mathematically with straight lines to the peaks. No trails involved and I haven't looked yet to see if it's even possible (are some sections impassable?). The real deal is certainly longer than 181 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I suggest as a first approximation you plug in the locations and minimize the straight line distances connecting them (the "all bushwhack" scenario). Run it through a traveling salesman program. You may be very surprised if you start with this since the program won't have your biases about what "must" be the best way.
    Last edited by BethW; 07-05-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Very cool, Beth. Splitting the Presidentials into two "pieces" and ascending Jefferson via Caps Ridge is something that didn't occur to me - this route completely removes the section between Jefferson and Washington. If it's really only 181+ miles this way, that's pretty amazing, even if there was an elevation gain penalty of some sort for "double-dipping" up and over the Prezzies .

EDIT : Castle Ridge might be the shorter way, I haven't measured.
    Last edited by Tim Seaver; 07-05-2012 at 07:16 PM.

uh...anyone wanna let Farmer know ?

Congrats to Tim on the original work and to Beth on the TSP. Cool stuff.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I'm kind of disappointed neither Tim nor Ryan took up my 100 Mile, 49,500 foot route to Mt. Washington challenge

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by BethW View Post
    Should anyone be interested, my husband and I ran a modified TSP program in Matlab on the 48 4K footers in the WMNF. I'm not going to claim this is the best TSP solution - just what we came up with out of interest in the problem.

Open Circuit Loop

Closed Circuit Loop

The open circuit route is pretty close to Mats Roing's route, including the Presis split, which is pretty interesting.

Of course all the bushwacking required for the open circuit route might just be a little time consuming. ;-)

A close approximation of the open circuit route, but using trails (mostly), and the Castle tr., comes to about 237 miles with 82k of elevation gain.

Whackin' and Efficiency

You might get some interesting bushwhacks out of this, worthy of a Guy Waterman.
    I am sure a very interesting route could be constructed using only bushwhacks which would be shorter mileage-wise, but what I am really after is the most efficient way to tie all 48 peaks together (using primarily the established trails) without an undue amount of thrashing.

Originally posted by spencer
    Rev. Folsom didn't allow for bushwhacking b/c there is no good way to measure distances.
    I haven't read that article since it first came out but as I recall he was also afraid of imitators getting lost. The "shortest" route would probably be all bushwhack as just about every trail has minor twists. The (summer) orienteering rule of thumb is that a trail route is maybe 4X as fast as a bushwhack of similar length, and I'm sure there are thick and steep areas in NH where an even greater factor would apply.
    I ran some Arc scripts a couple of years ago on the current trails system and couldn't come up with a shorter route than Rev. Folsom's with the necessary additions.
    Didn't the article also say there was a slightly shorter route and challenge you to find it?

Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
    Yes, he did say there was a slightly shorter route. I can't remember the details, but it came up when I ran the scripts, but it didn't change the order of things.

He also said he did a short bushwhack from the Ravine Lodge to his car. I wasn't around the Lodge back then, but I've been there more than enough times to know that there isn't a bushwhack there now...

Here is his order of peaks as I promised...

cabot
    waumbek
    jefferson
    madison
    moriah
    m carter
    s carter
    carter dome
    wildcat A
    wildcat D (these differ b/c of the change in elevations, but it won't make any difference to length)
    isolation
    washington
    monroe
    eisenhower
    pierce
    tom
    field
    willey
    carrigain
    passaconaway
    whiteface
    s trip
    n trip
    tecumseh
    osceola
    e osceola
    hancock
    s hancock
    boncdliff
    bond
    w bond
    zealand
    hale
    zealand
    s twin
    galehead
    n twin
    s twin
    owl's head
    garfield
    lafayette
    lincoln
    liberty
    flume
    cannon
    n kinsman
    s kinsman
    moosilauke

spencer

Spencer,

Adams and Jackson are missing from the list. I'd assume that Jackson should follow Pierce and Adams should follow Jefferson.