beautiful day on Mt. Jackson Feb 24th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
The last weekend of February! By next weekend it will be March! Here's another victim of the snowpack. It's a national forest veranda(not sure what they are called) at a wayside park, a mile south of Sawyer River Road on RT. 302.
22408q.jpg

The weather was perfect for a hike above treeline. Here's a view from the vista near Frankenstein Cliff...

22408.jpg

The Webster-Jackson Loop Trail was in excellent shape. Wonderful snowshoeing!

22408b.jpg

beard lichens...

22408p.jpg

Mrs. Forestgnome calls these "saddle trees". This happens when they are sapling. An old tree falls on them and pins them on the ground, but they start growing toward the sky, aroung the dead log. Eventually, they grow bigger and the log rots away, freeing them to keep growing but keeping the rounded shape from where they grew around the dead log. At least, this is what I theorize... :rolleyes: ...

22408d.jpg

First views of the summit...

22408e.jpg

Alpine azaleas are not yet in bloom...

22408o.jpg

continiued...

Last edited:
As forecasted, the winds were a bit strong, but only on the summit. The hike up was calm until the very summit. I went off the summit toward the east along a shoulder where I have thought about exploring each time I've been on this summit. Still near the top, I noticed that all the trees lean away from the NW, the direction of the prevailing winds.

22408j.jpg

Further down the shoulder the trees stand straight. Mt. Jackson has such beautiful views...

22408g.jpg

Looking back at the summit...

22408n.jpg

Then the gray jays payed a visit...

mtjaxjay22408vftt.jpg

The mountain wind is tussling their feathers...

22408l.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Very pretty photos. I have to figure out how to reduce my high byte photos to attach them the way you do. :confused: