Any recent Isolation feedback

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
OK, i know about all the rain, and this may be a redundant question, but am taking my son into Isolation the Rocky Branch, Isolation, Davis way...i'm expecting it to ...pardon the language..suck...but how much mud sucking is realistic to expect? It has been probably eight years since i did this one, fond memories of the summit and Ed Hawkins famous nap time...but the rest was a march..My son is twelve with short legs!!! he hates muddy trails. We are going on Weds, as i know this will put atleast a couple of drier days of weather into the mix. Any recent feedback most appreciated...thanks, ctsparrow

As you seem to be aware, this route has a reputation for being very wet and muddy, particularly the section of (east) Isolation Trail. (Many also seem to have some route-finding problems on the upper part of Iso Tr.) A dryer, but somewhat longer route is via Glenn Boulder Tr.

I did it from Ammo Ravine Tr via Boott Spur several years ago. The bottom part of Ammo Ravine was a bit damp, but not enough to cause any problems. I wouldn't attempt this route in bad weather--it is long and requires a lot of above T-line travel.

Doug

Thanks DougPaul, i have considered the Glen Boulder Route as many have traveled this way, but fear i won't have the oompf to get back up it! Guess i'm going to water/mud proof as much as possible....and bring extra high gaiters!!

Open invitation to anyone who wants to be mud buddies...starting at Rocky Branch Trail by 7am

Rocky Branch Trail is possibly the wettest trail I've ever hiked. No matter what your footwear is, I suggest resigning yourself to having wet feet for most of the hike.

Technetium said:
Rocky Branch Trail is possibly the wettest trail I've ever hiked. No matter what your footwear is, I suggest resigning yourself to having wet feet for most of the hike.
Or go in winter (often mostly as a bushwack).

But then you have to worry about spruce traps... :)

Doug

I went in to Isolation via Glen Boulder two weeks ago, and that last stretch down the Davis path over to the top of Isolation was very muddy. That was before the week of heavy rains. I did that stretch in the dark, and sunk deep into the water and mud a few times. It was not fun, but i have been on muddier trails before.