Isolation via Rocky Branch, Karen's #46, 10/30/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 30, 2010: Isolation

Trails: Rocky Branch Trail, Isolation Trail, Davis Path, Isolation Spur

Summits: Isolation

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Happyhiker (Karen), Whichway (Melissa), Delilah (hiker dog), and me

The day started with a 7:30am target time for everybody to meet at the AMC Pinkham Notch Visitor Center (PNVC). As we approached from the north on Route 16 we could see the day was probably going to start with a small change of plans. The cloud cover was heavy and low, very low. We couldn’t see the treeline. This meant hiking via Glen Boulder Trail would have us in thick cloud cover for over 1000 feet in elevation. A great feature of Glen Boulder Trail is the views but there were none today.

Sue and I pulled into PNVC to find the place fairly quiet. A few minutes later Karen, Melissa, and Delilah pulled in next to us and we made the decision to hike a round trip via Rocky Branch Trail instead of Glen Boulder. This approach would keep us lower and out of the clouds, and generally below the wind. The price for this route was mud and water – lot’s of both. We took off south to the Rocky Branch trailhead lot and the hike.

We pulled into the lot and parked next to a familiar vehicle – Hiker Ed’s truck was there with a couple other vehicles. It didn’t take long for the final trailhead prep and we were soon on the trail to Isolation. This was the first visit to Isolation for Karen (#46 of 48), Melissa, and Delilah. Sue and I needed Isolation for our October list. Everybody is getting checkmarks on this hike.

The first part of Rocky Branch Trail was clear sailing with mostly dry conditions. The trail passes through a mainly hardwood forest which means there is a heavy layer of leaves on the trail hiding hazards like rocks and roots. We needed to use a little more caution than usual when moving along the trail. Gradually we all came up to temperature and were moving well as we climbed Engine Hill. As we climbed the wind noise was pretty loud, even I could hear it. We also had a light snow falling. I was wondering when we would stop to add layers to protect from the wind, or snow, or both.

After reaching the height of land on Engine Hill everything changed. We were suddenly hiking in a great amount of mud and water. This route has been a mess every previous time we have used it but never like this time. Fortunately, most of the tough places have rocks or other high spots to help get past the pits, standing water, and running water. There were places where the trail was like a stream. Needless to say, waterproof footwear is really important on this hike.

We all managed to stay positive and made our way to the first crossing of Rocky Branch (stream). The stream was running high but we were able to find a suitable crossing location with exposed rocks to keep us dry. We all made it across without taking a swim. I’m pretty sure Delilah even managed a dry rock-hop across. Here we changed from Rocky Branch Trail to Isolation Trail. The name was different but the conditions were the same.

We rock-hopped our way north toward Davis Path generally following Rocky Branch. We reached the second crossing or Rocky Branch and found a suitable crossing location a short distance upstream from the actual trail crossing. Again, we all reached the opposite side without a problem. From the second crossing we stayed on the east side of the stream and bushwhacked past the next two crossings. At this point it wasn’t clear if hiking up the stream might have been dryer – there was a lot of water and mud, but we were all having a good time, I think. Eventually we made it to the final crossing and started to drift away from the main stream.

Soon we made our way across the east and northeast side of a swampy area where there are also several blowdowns across the trail. Finally, we climbed to the area of the campsites. As we approached the campsites we enjoyed spotting a mountain celebrity. We met a couple others on their way out and close behind was Ed Hawkins. The last time we hiked Isolation we bumped into Ed on the other side of the campsite area (actually on Davis Path). We knew at some point we would see Ed so it wasn’t a surprise, but it’s always a pleasure. After introductions all around and briefly visiting, we were once again on our way to Isolation.

In a few minutes we hit Davis Path, made the turn, and were on the final short approach to our target. Fortunately, the mud pits on Davis Path were generally frozen but there were a couple soft places that were obvious. Since we were no longer sheltered by the terrain the wind that was forecast for the day was also beginning to hit us and it was time for additional layers. As we made our way to the Isolation Spur we all stopped to add a layer either in response to the conditions we had or the ones we expected at the summit.

Finally, we reached the Isolation Spur, made the turn, and were on the steep final approach. By this point the ground was generally snow covered and Sue found an ideal place for an October Snowman. While she worked on her creation Karen and Melissa continued ahead to the summit. Soon, the snowman was done, photographed, and transmitted by cell phone to the usual targets. Sue and I took our turn at the summit cairn. The cloud cover prevented all of the usual great views that are found at Isolation. Instead, we found the wind that was in the forecast. With the uncomfortable conditions we quickly got a couple summit pictures and were soon on our exit hike.

Once back on Davis Path we were generally sheltered from the windy conditions. Our exit hike was mostly a reverse of our hike in. One small change was a short bushwhack from the third crossing to Rocky Branch Trail – we cut the corner, probably didn’t save any distance but skipped some mud and water. We also saw some relatively fresh signs of moose activity in the area (fresh snow on the ground and fresh tracks in the snow).

We started the day knowing the headlights would probably be needed before we finished. After clearing Engine Hill and leaving the major mud and water behind we stopped to pull out the lights to help with the final two+ miles to the trailhead. From Engine Hill to the trailhead is an easy cruise but wet leaves can be very slippery and we needed to be careful as we finished the hike back out.

Finally, we stepped into the trailhead lot wet, muddy, tired, and happy to be out. I think we were also happy to have enjoyed another successful hike. We made it out and back with nothing broken and no blood. Unfortunately, Sue managed to tear her pants while crossing over a blowdown. I guess that falls into the category “You can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs”.

Congratulations to Karen for completing #46 of 48. Thanks to Karen, Melissa, Delilah for a fun hike. As always, thanks to Sue for a terrific day in the mountains – I’m looking forward to the next one.

Pictures will follow.

:D

great job - I really enjoyed the slide show!!!!

Thanks Becca,

Glad you enjoyed the show.

It's been a while since we have crossed paths. I believe the last time we bumped into each other was between North and South Twin on May 29. As I recall you were headed toward North Twin looking for Ed. You had something going on with vehicles, I think. We were headed for Garfield, eventually.

Hope to see you again soon.

Earl

;)