Post Hike Traditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's nothing like a full meal followed by a fine slice of one of the many berry pies at the Noonmark...And by the look of this thread, I'm not the only one who thinks so!
-C.

dont't have any routines. wish i did,t would make me sound more interesting. the first thing i do is get out of my boots into my sandles to give my dogs a breath of fresh air. then i change my shirt, hydrate myself and on the way home i never pass a fast food place.

post hike

re: pete's "I get naked, and pour cold water all over me (only on solo trips). Then I drive to Wendy's and get a baked potato (after getting dressed again)" had to read that twice! my first visual of you butt naked at Wendy's drive-thru was , well fun while it lasted!
i never eat mcdonald's but after a hike i want some fries & a cone!
then i either sleep while my partner drives or we sing to the radio all the way home. (keeps us awake!)

after day hikes in harriman sp my lady and i traditionally grab some food at the Fireplace on rt 17 in N.J.
if we still have any energy and is not too late we check out toys at Campmor and the E.M.S next door.:rolleyes:

Changing into fresh clothes and especially socks, putting on sneakers, and heading to the Woodstock Inn. I'm usually ready to head out since it is a 2 to 3 hour ride home..... The drive home and a couple of cool ones round out a good day!:)

If it's backpacking in the Catskills, then breakfast at Sweet Sues in Phoenicia is a must. The kids especially look forward to it the entire trip. It's amazing how many hard miles they will hike when motivated by pancakes!

clean shirt, change into tevas, anything to please the wife/kids so I can go hiking again;)

Energetic sex with whatever's handy.

Actually, I undress, rub down with a towel and put on fresh dry cotton clothing for the 2 and a half to three hour drive home. We often stop at the Subway in Peru. (Peru NY that is).

LOL!! Too funny!

Me, it's off with the boots and sports bra (ahhh!!!) for clean cotton shorts, a t-shirt and Tevas.

We often stop at Common Man or lately The Station for beer. Oh--and food.

I like Stan's tradition--and I too have learned from the master, although I only partake when he's got the bottle handy. If I had my own bottle, I think I'd hurt myself.

Stan, did you ever stop at Mis Hermanos in Concord, NH? Killer authentic margaritas and great food.

Viva Hermanos! The avocado quesedilla with a Negra Modela is what I start hallucinating about at around 4 PM.

Usually hiking in Prezys...

Stop in at one of the following...

-Mr. Pizza's
-AMC's Visitor's lodge for the family style eats (used to work there, so I also get to see Frank).
-Shannon Door
-This little sub shop/gas station before 93 south turns into large highway.
-Occasionally The Fortune Cookie
-Often visit friends in the area (live in Ma used to live in Berlin).

Adirondacks or Catskills

Loj - LP Pub and Brewery for Ubu

KV/SH - Noonmark for whatever

Low peaks/LG region - Carl R's for beer and fajita's

Catskills - Taco Juan's in Woodstock for a burrito or the Mexican place in Tannersville

The first thing I want when I return from a long hike is to gulp down something cold and carbonated, like cold seltzer water or maybe a root beer, or better yet an extra large root beer float. That really does the trick. Getting out of my boots and into flip flops is next on the list.
Jean said:
You guys are kidding about the Noonmark Diner right? I've stopped there twice and the food is absolutely horrendous!
I don't remember much about the quality of the food, but the few times we went there after a hike, we had to wait FOREVER for service and the place wasn't even crowded. Not fun when you're feeling like an almost-dead dehydrated zombie. UGH!!

Sometimes after a hike its not the quality of the food that matters its just that it is food. That could be why there are differeing opinions on the Noonmark? Diner?--I have never eaten there myself.

In the old days when my beagle was with me it was, "One vanilla cone, one small vanilla in a dish, no spoon please." ;)

These days it's clean cotton socks and loose shoes, the first ice cream I can find (or a big meal in winter), then coffee and the long drive home, with tunes crankin'.

NeilL said:

Careful, some of those species are endangered!

In the summer, the bar at the pro shop at the Mt. Washington hotel has good food and beer at a reasonable price and you can sit on the patio and look at Mt. Washington in the fading light.
Plus, you can watch the final foursomes hack their way home. Some good laughs there.
It's about 15 minutes from the Gale River trailhead.