Post Hike Traditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the song, it's martini time.

Decades in N. Conway has the best. Food's good, too.

Steve

For us - a stop at Carl-R's (Northway Exit 18) breaks up the ride home and whets our enormous post hike appetites with the best chicken fajitas in upstate NY.

DeadFred starts the Carl-R's chant upon the descent from the summit.

:D

About a mile before we get back to the trailhead it's

"Thinkin' of Drinkin' in Lincoln":D

That nice big fireplace at the Common Man after a January camping trip...that's livin' big!

Tailgating with tequila shooters ... helps hydrate and prevents arthritis!

Wash my face, brush my hair, drink my orange juice while I drive home. Everything tastes better after a hot shower!

I let my legs get real stiff during the drive from the trailhead to the nearest cold beer. I love shuffling from the car into the bar room. Then a hefty dinner afterwards - whatever suits me that day.

Beer!

P.S. You guys are kidding about the Noonmark Diner right? I've stopped there twice and the food is absolutely horrendous!

Noonmark

When you're as hungry as bear, any food will taste great. Even McDonalds.

Black Bear in Pottersville is better than Noonmark IMHO.

Jaytrek57 said:
Um....a nice cold brew.

Didn't know there were other options.;)
Absolutely. Part of planning a hike is keeping beer cold at the car. And, it never tastes better than after a long ski day!!

Had Stan not told you, I would have... Tequila. He taught me!!

And, I'm going to start hikin with: harryk, jean, Jaytrek57, Doc McPeak and Grumpy to name a few!!! And KayakDan seems to have it down, too.

Last, and without fail thesedays, Vitamin I.:D

Usually we're to eager to hit the road for the 2-3 hr. drive home. Also, once after a tiring canoe trip I did the MacD thing (burgers, fries, coke), dozed for two seconds and rolled the car on the way home. I've learned since then that I have to be careful about eating before driving home after a hike. I'll enjoy a nice beer at home, but I can't imagine making it down the Northway after hiking with beer under my belt. I agree with Jean about the food at Noonmark. An exception would be their pies which, though expensive, are very good. Never had a shake there. Come to think about it, it's been years since I've had a store-bought shake.

1. Change into clean dry socks and sneakers---AHHHH
2. Change into clean dry shirt.
3. Drive to Ashland Mc'D's for a salad and fries--what a combo huh.
4. Drive home for a nice warm shower
5. Let people tell me how crazy we are to gut up at 3 in the morning to go hiking.

My high peaks region post-hike routine:

1) Ice cold coke waiting for me in the car
2) Change into clean clothes for the drive down to camp in Old Forge
3) Quick hot shower
4) Cold beer and hot wings at the Red Dog Tavern in Inlet.

A beer in the cooler, weather permitting. Afterwards, I'll stop at the nearest convenience store for a Ben and Jerry's ice cream bar for the ride home.

About that Vitamin I, friends, I understand it's more effective if you take some just before the activity, not after the inflammation has begun. Besides, taking it afterwards can interfere with the digestion of your post hike hydration ... or something like that.