Baldface circle, water?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I'm planning a hike over the Baldfaces and Eagle Crag for next weekend. Not sure at this point whether I'll do just the the Baldface Circle trail or one of the alternates (e.g. Slippery Brook). My main concern is water (or the lack thereof). I know the water at the shelter is "unreliable"; has anybody been there lately? My main concern is which approach will get me water as late as possible before going up on the ridge, in either direction (preferably clockwise, I think).

Another question is what is the parking permit status in that area these days? I expect to arrive late at night (my usual approach is to drive after work, arrive around midnight, hike a short distance in the dark and crash, to get an early start the next morning). Any place in the area for 24 hour permits, or are they required in that area?

-Dana

The bottom of the Baldface Circle trail is on private land. That means:
- no parking fee
- no camping until you're inside the WMNF.

In the clockwise direction, there's a side trail to a waterfall (Chandler Gorge) at about 1000' elevation. After that the trail starts gradually diverging from the stream. Once you pass the hut, you're above treeline and should not expect to find water.

The Slippery Brook trail (I assume you mean its northern/eastern end that connects with the BF Circle trail above Emerald Pool, not a southern approach from Lower Bartlett) is pretty similar. It stays near its stream slightly longer, and it's a gentler, more wooded trail, so you're marginally more likely to find water slightly higher than on BF Circle trail, but not enough for this to be a factor in trail choice IMNSHO.

Last edited:
The bottom of the Balface circle trail now has a parking lot on the east side of the road and I beleive the parking pass/fee is required. There is no parking in the area of the former trailhead. As noted the lower section goes through private land so no camping for about the first 1/2 mile.

The east side of the road is even further outside the WMNF.
There was no fee box the last few times I've been there.

we were up there tuesday..Slippery Brook to Mt Meader Trail

once away from the brooks on both trails down below everything dry to the point of being wilted/parched above 1000 feet or so

never mind water..there was barely any mud

honestly we didn't look for fee box as have the pass but I don't remember seing the familiar sign..there is a privy and kiosk at the parking area

great hike enjoy

Hmmm. Never did make it up there last year :mad:, but a year later it still looks like a good hike... this year I may really make it up there...

Looking at the topo, it looks like the Baldface Circle trail (going counterclockwise) crosses a stream at around 1050', and again comes near the stream at 2100' (though it looks like an intermittent stream at that point). There's also a cutoff between the Baldface Circle trail and the Bicknell Ridge trail that crosses a stream at 1680'. Anybody been up there recently?

Any change in the parking fee situation?

-Dana

Looking at the topo, it looks like the Baldface Circle trail (going counterclockwise) crosses a stream at around 1050', and again comes near the stream at 2100' (though it looks like an intermittent stream at that point). There's also a cutoff between the Baldface Circle trail and the Bicknell Ridge trail that crosses a stream at 1680'. Anybody been up there recently?

Any change in the parking fee situation?

I was up there about a month ago. That stream has a decent enough flow to fill up a water bottle on the lower crossings. The cutoff trail crosses the stream at Eagle Cascade, which was just a trickle coming down a rock slab when I was up there.

In the parking area - I do not remember seeing any fee signs, just a map kiosk and restrooms. However, I could be wrong - wasn't looking too closely. :eek:

In the parking area - I do not remember seeing any fee signs, just a map kiosk and restrooms. However, I could be wrong - wasn't looking too closely. :eek:
The new parking lot is on the AMC Cold River Camp property hence not subject to WMNF fees, of course the AMC is free to charge a fee but I don't think they do.

The new trail is on a narrow corridor purchased by donations, can't say if it was deeded to the WMNF but too narrow for reasonable camping. Originally they were going to buy a strip along the property line from the guy who owned the land where the old trail was, when he backed out at the last minute they bought the other side of the property line from his neighbor.