Autistic Twin Hikers in magazine story

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinMom+1

Reaction score
I'm not usually into self-promotion, but Chip suggested I flag the below story about my sons, which appeared as the cover story of a trade publication for physical therapists:

http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/ebook/magazine.aspx?EBK=PT092109#

Special thanks to Chip for his picture on page 12 taken at FOT48 this year:
http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/ebook/magazine.aspx?EBK=PT092109#/12/

Please, if you know anyone with kids on the autism spectrum, suggest hiking to them. And feel free to forwad my email if I can share tips on working through autism-specific challenges. It's the perfect sport for individuals whose challenges preclude hand-eye coordination, or games requiring a lot of language to understand. Hiking has made my guys sleep better, improved their coordination and helped ward off the family "chubby" gene. Thus far Will and Jeff Q. have hiked 25 of NH's 4K peaks thus far, in the hope that they become (we think) the first autistic individuals to join the FTFC. Hiking has lifted our visions and our dreams. It helps us to remember that we can all choose to see life through the lens of possibilities - not disabilities.

Thank you all for sharing your love of the views and your detailed reports that have made the mountains more accessible to us. See you on the trails!

Mary Kae, Paul, Will and Jeff (and, in absentia, their mall-hiking sister Jenn)
mkmarinac [at] comcast.net

Mary Kae
This is great. It is amazing what hiking can do. Thanks for posting this. AND let us know when you start to appoach #48.

I never thought Chip would become a photo journalists. I can brag about knowing him when he was doing self portraits at the trail heads.

Very nice story. I appreciate it as a hiker, but also as a teacher. I'll post a link to the article for the students in my class in "Developmental Psychopathology." I use the biography of Temple Grandin in my class, but this article provides something more immediate and current.

Very cool. Last Sunday 9/20 my Dad and I were at a pizza joint in Lincoln after a 4K hike and a family with two teenage sons with autism came in to get pizza themselves - looked like they had been hiking - coincidence?

Great idea. It seems like every family's experience with autism is so individual, but I'll certainly mention it to the families with whom I work.

Weatherman

No kidding!?! That magazine is sitting next to the toilet in my bathroom open to the article about your sons - as we speak! I just got done looking at it! Wow - small world! (My wife is a pediatric physical therapist)

Mary Kae,

Awesome beyond description.

Quick story: A few years ago I was one of a group of coaches who taught ice skating and hockey to children with autism. At first it was scary for the kids, really scary for the moms and dads, and absolutely out-of-this-world scary for the coaches. After a few weeks, we fell into a groove. And the progress these little dudes made in six months was nothing short of amazing. So many things in that article were so familiar; I just mentally replaced "hiking boots" with "ice skates" and I could see it all over again. The change in the kids was cool to see; but to me the change in the parents was even better. It takes alot to make me cry, but seeing how much these parents cared for their children under such challenging circumstances was something else.

So happy for you and your family. A get Jenn out of the mall and into the woods; she can shop on rainy days!!! :)

And nice picture Chip.