Snow on the Kanc

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
Didn't see much on the conditions page so thought I'd ask. We're heading up to cut down our Xmas tree in the WMNF tomorrow, specifically along the Kanc and I was wondering how that area fared during the 'corker' this week. Snowshoes a must for good tree hunting?

As an aside if you have not done the 'cut your own in the WMNF' thing you should. It's awesome!

Thanks!

Sorry should have clarified. No need to be from NH and it is way more fun than trolling the lot at the local high school or church...and way less expensive. The trees are more of the Charlie Brown variety, but they have character and you have the best story to tell all your friends. Everyone is jealous of us when we tell them where we get our tree.

Snowshoes it is!

Merry Christmas everyone!

The last Christmas tree I drove all the way to New Hampshire to buy was an artificial one at a probably going-out-of-business Service Merchandise.

Between the gasoline and the low mileage you’d get with a tree on the roof of your car and the wear and tear on said car, I find it hard to believe that it is way cheaper to drive four or five hours rather than to the local high school, unless the local high school is charging three-figure prices.

... I'll bet there'd be a lot of gratitude if everyone cut a tree from somewhere between Little East Pond and Scar Ridge.

Between the gasoline and the low mileage you’d get with a tree on the roof of your car and the wear and tear on said car, I find it hard to believe that it is way cheaper to drive four or five hours rather than to the local high school, unless the local high school is charging three-figure prices.
It would be even cheaper to forgo the tree entirely, and Xmas gifting as well. Or wait until Xmas Eve when many stores give away remaining trees free so they won't have to dispose of them.

Several cut-your-own spots near here charge similar prices to precut trees at discount stores, but people go anyway for the family experience even though they will wind up with a tree of less conventional beauty.

I once got a tree from the NF, a large tree had fallen over across the trail and as you can remove dead and down wood free I cut the top off and brought it home. It was no extra driving as I was there hiking anyway, and no extra wind resistance as I put it in the trunk bent over.

it would be even cheaper to forgo the tree entirely, and xmas gifting as well. Or wait until xmas eve when many stores give away remaining trees free so they won't have to dispose of them.

humbug!!!!

Anyone can do it, not just NH residents. We've been doing it for years. I get my permits at the ranger station on the east end of the Kanc or the one in Gorham on Rt 16. I've found a nice little deer yard, about a 100 yards off of the road that's been providing us with balsams for 4 years.

Tips for finding a place to cut:

- Use Google Earth to identify clearcuts. You're not going to find a useable tree in the middle of a dense forest. The trees need sunlight to branch out.

- You'll have best luck at 3000' or higher. (HINT: think Pinkham Notch) Below that the softwoods are mostly hemlocks, which dont make a nice tree.

- You'll find the best trees in clearings on south facing slopes.

You'll notice that the easy pickings on the roadside on the Kanc are now signed "No tree cutting". Please leave those trees alone.

Happy hunting, the good trees (and the legal ones) are hard to find!

bob

ya i think its ok to cut a tree, but i think they should have you plant 1 also.

The last Christmas tree I drove all the way to New Hampshire to buy was an artificial one at a probably going-out-of-business Service Merchandise.

Ok! You guys have helped to make this thread so much fun! Enjoy your holidays and try to lighten up.

Am discovering that different parts of the country have different traditions.

In the Northeast, the norm seems to be cutting down a tree and them mulching it after the holidays.

In the Far West, many people buy a live tree at the local supermarket/ Lowes/Home Depot and then planting it after the holidays. This is a practice we've adopted, and have a specific section along a fenceline we call the "Christmas tree pines".

When in Rome ...

In the Far West, many people buy a live tree at the local supermarket/ Lowes/Home Depot and then planting it after the holidays. This is a practice we've adopted, and have a specific section along a fenceline we call the "Christmas tree pines".
I would LOVE to do this.... But last night's price at the local Home Depot was $109.95!!!! and I refuse to pay that much. Granted your can use it twice, once in the pot, and once again a few years later when you cut it down, but at those prices it's still costs more compared to the $35 I paid to cut my own at a local tree farm this year, and they'll plant another one for me (or someone else) for free! :)

And the tree farm is located under a big power-line cut, so it's not like a natural habitat was destroyed to plant holiday trees.

I would LOVE to do this.... But last night's price at the local Home Depot was $109.95!!!! and I refuse to pay that much. Granted your can use it twice, once in the pot, and once again a few years later when you cut it down, but at those prices it's still costs more compared to the $35 I paid to cut my own at a local tree farm this year, and they'll plant another one for me (or someone else) for free! :)

And the tree farm is located under a big power-line cut, so it's not like a natural habitat was destroyed to plant holiday trees.

Holy cow! that's pricey - way more than what we pay. For example - a 2' tree goes for about $15, 3' for $25, and 6-8' are $50 - which is about what they used to cost us for cut trees back in VT.

I didn't wish to imply a value judgement by my previous post. When we lived in VT it was impossible to keep our 20+ acres open as it wasn't actively farmed. Trees grew so quickly any open land was rapidly reclaimed, as they do most places in the Northeast. I never felt guilty either cutting one on our land, or going to a local tree farm. Where we are now - an open, semi-arid, windy valley - the native bushes don't grow tall enough to provide much windbreak, so we planted lots of trees. We conserve water by using drip irrigation, and have a wide assortment of fruit, ornamental and pines for windbreaks. It would be frivolous now for us to buy a cut tree - as it will be many years before we've got enough growth to provide a completely adequate windbreak.