avalanche danger in the dyke?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd9truck

Reaction score
Does any one have first hand knowledge of the snow load currently on the slide above the trap dyke? looking to solo it thursday morning if conditions are right.

I havent been up there recently, but it was clear a few weeks ago. I know you guys just got a bunch of snow.

I would check with rockandriver.com or contact one of the guides. Sometimes people at the mountaineer (in keene valley) have good insight into recent conditions.

I should think the slide danger now would be considerable. The entire region picked up a heavy load of really wet, heavy snow very recently. Even some of the VT ski areas had in-bounds avalanches (!!) Wednesday. That ought to tell you something. So -- exercise due diligence ...

Yes I thought the snow was wet, but I,m looking at the weather reports on line from a basement on Long Island. I don,t allways get a good read on things from 350 miles away. I have a good understanding of the conditions that that make avalanche areas ripe and welcome your input thank you:) I know that exsposure see,s alot of wind and it is an average of 10 degees colder than in Keene or Lake Placid. I,m hoping the temp differance would dry the snow out and make it more susceptible to wind erosion I know the Daks recieved heavy load but I think it fell gradually and that can be one of the contribueters to a stablize I think?

I was up in Lake Placid this weekend for a 3-day EMS Climb school and we had discussed doing the dyke today. The EMS Guide had real good intel that the Rangers were actually keeping folks off of it yesterday (Saturday) and that it had avalanched all day long. We headed elsewhere so don't know if conditions improved today but there was still avy potential on the Chapel Pond slabs. A lot had already come off but the upper 1/3 was still holding a ton of snow. Caution would seem the best way to go right now, IMHO.

just what I was hopeing for,(the load to drop).I may still need to adapt my goal. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond :)

Y’know, I think it’s always been referred to as the trap DIKE. Maybe I’m being overly sensitive, but it seems kind of in poor taste to spell it with a y; usually that refers to something else. Some content-control filters may block it, too, or however that works.

Y’know, I think it’s always been referred to as the trap DIKE. Maybe I’m being overly sensitive, but it seems kind of in poor taste to spell it with a y; usually that refers to something else. Some content-control filters may block it, too, or however that works.

While you're correct, most Americans would spell it Trap Dike, you are being overly sensitive. Dyke is merely a variant of dike. For example, the British use the y variant. Furthermore, it's being used in one of it's proper meanings.

http://www.fousderando.com/c-r-marcy-dam-lac-colden-via-avalanche-pass-t1503.html

"À mon retour, j’ai évité de justesse la chute d’une grosse branche chargée de neige (la prochaine fois, si j’attends un gros craquement, je ne chercherai pas autour de moi, mais vers le ciel!) et j’apprends que sur une slide près de Wright, il s’est produit une avalanche alors que des personnes descendaient en snow et en ski. Pas de blessé, ils ont été très chanceux."

As posted on the above Quebec Website there was an avalanche Saturday on the Wright Slide as a few skiers and snowboarders were descending, luckily nobody was hurt!

"Maybe I’m being overly sensitive, but it seems kind of in poor taste to spell"

Many posters accidentally spell it this way with I'm sure no intention of offending people.

All of your comments and sugestions are welcome and I "thank you", Ray I am a 46 year old D"y"slexic that has been mis-spelling words my hole life, take it as you want,but the thread is a question about the conditions on the geological falt on Mt Colden Known as the trap Dyke or For those with better "taste " dike.(I am not(that) offended that you made it a point to correct the spelling of an individual with a mental disabillity(no Bull ) but some one else might be Ray)

(I am not(that) offended that you made it a point to correct the spelling of an individual with a mental disabillity(no Bull ) but some one else might be Ray)
Likewise, you should not take insult where none was intended or could be foreseen. No harm, no foul, we'll move on.