Camelback hygiene

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to dry out a Camelback? And should I worry about those little water droplets in the tube breeding bacteria?

I always just tried to prop it open and take off the bite valve. Camelback sells a sort of drying rack, I think?

For cleaning I've used a mixture of baking soda, water and rice (it's great for scrubbing) quite successfully.

bp

I rinse mine out with hot water and hydrogen peroxide or a couple of drops of bleach; take the bite piece off; hang it up with special camelback hanger that keeps the sides from touching; hang it in the sun for evaporation. It takes a while for all the water to dissapate...........

Not just campmor or REI, bike shops will also sell kits that you can buy that come with the brush. You can make your own bleach/water solution yourself. I just use an old hanger to prop my platypus bladders out.

Jay

If you have one with the ''big zip'' you remove the bite valve and stick a hair drier in the open end. Put in on LOW.
I also use this on my disgusting boots. Its real fast.

I've found the chlorine in tap water is enough to keep bacteria from growing as long as you drain your bag and blow out the tube. If you filter water then rinse out the bag and tube with tap water when you return. My equipment is over 5 years old and is still fine.

I completely disassemble the camelback. Swinging the hose byan end will get most of the water out.

Also, not liking chlorine much, I use a oxygen cleaner used to clean homebrew equipment (another hobby) as the rinse.

Jim

Has anybody had problems with their platypus springing a leak? Mine did after only 3 years of use. the leak was at the junction between the bag and the hard plastic plug which is part of the threaded outlet . I replaced it with an MSR unit that was more expensive and I hope will last longer but is harder to dry.

When I get home from a trip I remove the hose from the water blatter, drain the water from the hose, clean the bite valve and stick the hose in the freezer. This keeps all the little nasty's from growing in the hose and does not require a brush to clean out.

I usually just drain and rinse out the bladder and let it air dry. I've never had an issue doing it that way.

I remember reading a tip one time (can't remember where, perhaps on VFTT?) that you can clean a bladder with denture tablets. Fill the bladder with water and insert a couple of tablets. It should be nice and fresh in a short amount of time. I have not tried this method yet.

The Easiest Way to Care for Your Bladder

I just drain it via the bite valve, suck out whatever residual liquid is left, and store it in the freezer. No need to clean it, let it dry, etc.

John

Put it in an air tight container w/ a dessicant. Dries it out in no time.

I clean mine with dishwashing liquid and water, letting the soapy water drain through the hose several times. Then I rinse it two or three times. I shake it, getting most of the water out of it and then toss it in the freezer until the next hike.

JohnL

i usually wait until it gets a slight slimy feel to it and then clean it out with a couple drops of bleech and add hot water. i then shake it up and drain the bleech water through the bite valve.

i then clean it out several times with just hot water and all is fine...