York Pond Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen R

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is passable? Hoping to do N & S Weeks on Memorial Weekend.
Thanks.

Thanks Ed.

Noticed you finished the NE 100 - which would you consider the toughest?

Thanks Ed.

Noticed you finished the NE 100 - which would you consider the toughest?

It would have to have been one of the whacks. It's funny because at the time I know there were a few that were difficult, but now three years or so later in my mind they don't seem so bad.

I would say that one of the more difficult was the whack from the canister to what the book said was the true high point on Scar Ridge. I also chose to go up Mendon by going over Little Killington which which involved some really thick stuff and may have been foolish since there are some very easy routes up Mendon, but it was interesting. I also remember hitting some really thick stuff on Kenebego Divide. I did the Jays on a day when the temps were in the 90s and got over heated :( but on a cool day they wouldn't have been that big a deal. I had a muscle spasm in my neck and back when I did North Brother, Fort, South Brother and Coe. I was in a lot of pain that day:( but otherwise the hike wasn't that bad. I guess it's all somewhat relative and as I said with the passing of the years none of them seem that bad now.:)

I did Mendon mostly on old logging roads. I still need Scar Ridge and Big Jay among others. Its tough to get people to go with you :) especially if they ever heard others bushwack stories.

Take care.

Jen
I will be looking for partners in pain for some of the whacks this summer. My son who dols most of my hikes with me is NOT a fan of whacks. Feel free to PM me with your list of needed hikes. Scaur ridge is my biggie left in NH I also need PeakaTN, prefer to wait for buggage to decline after late June.

My son and I are heading for the Weeks as well this weekend, Sunday, guess i better check the link as well.

ctsparrow

I did Mendon mostly on old logging roads. I still need Scar Ridge and Big Jay among others. Its tough to get people to go with you :) especially if they ever heard others bushwack stories.
Big Jay is basically a gimme as far as hiking goes, it's the drive up that will get you :)

Scar Ridge was easy enough the 3 times I did it (all from height-of-land on East Pond Trail), either there's been a lot of blowdown since or we have a new generation of whiners

I have never had trouble finding people for NE100, try posting a notice here

Did you get to the Weeks? How were the conditions?

PS - bring LOTS of bug repellant to your trip to Scar Ridge, given when you're going. I've been twice, on July 7 and on June 7, and both times were bugfests.

PPS - it's so tempting to go up early and hide in the woods along the way...

Last edited:
That's a different Jen R. I'm not ready to lead any NE 100 on my own yet :)

That's a different Jen R. I'm not ready to lead any NE 100 on my own yet :)

Well shucks, then I'll go back to the suggestion I was going to make when I noticed the coincidence: there's an AMC hike to Scar that you might want to join ;) And my apologies for the assumption.

I emailed AMC re the hike - wtg for a response.

Michael - I did hike the WEEKs - a bit of blowdown, and very buggy, the trail does not look like it is used much. Trail was dry though.