Starbucks Via instant coffee review

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
For you hiking coffee addicts; Starbucks Via seems perfect. I got a free one with my newspaper last week. Taste = weak and average, though I may have used a bit too much water. Caffeine Delivery = Superior, seemed equal to 2 or 3 cups. So purchase depends on your priorities.

For you hiking coffee addicts; Starbucks Via seems perfect. I got a free one with my newspaper last week. Taste = weak and average, though I may have used a bit too much water. Caffeine Delivery = Superior, seemed equal to 2 or 3 cups. So purchase depends on your priorities.

Yeah, as instants go, this stuff is pretty good. I find it WAY better than the Crapwell House tea-bag style single serving stuff. :eek:

I brought some Via along on the winter Presi Traverse and it hit the spot with breakfast. Along with some Espresso Love GU later in the day, I managed to avoid any caffeine withdrawal headaches.

I may try them.

Normally, I bring my own freshly ground beans, and a gold wire filter insert, and just set it on top of my big backpacking mug, and drip brew my own.
:)
Takes a bit of time, but hey, if you don't have time for coffee??....

The "Columbian" Via instant is ok, but the "Italian" Via instant tastes like it was roasted in a nuclear (nook-ya-ler) facility. I bought a box of each before my last hike in March and just finished off the last packet a day or two ago when I was desperate for a caffeine fix at work. Use about 10 oz for a good "brew" and it should come out ok.

coffee is VERY important and I was wondering about the new starbucks. When I used to backpack I carried a perkelator, it was bulky, a pain to clean, but everyone who went with me sat around with thier cups out profusely thanking me for real coffee.

I may try them.

Normally, I bring my own freshly ground beans, and a gold wire filter insert, and just set it on top of my big backpacking mug, and drip brew my own.
:)
Takes a bit of time, but hey, if you don't have time for coffee??....

Exactly, what's the hurry? :)

Where did you get the gold insert? I use a stanless steel insert for loose tea.

Where did you get the gold insert? I use a stanless steel insert for loose tea.

Its just your standard Braun gold insert for a ten cup coffee maker. You can get them at most supermarkets. I keep it in a ziplock bag when I'm backpacking because its not easy to clean -- I just whack out the grinds and bury them.

http://www.amazon.com/Medelco-Cone-...3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276180791&sr=8-3

This filter rests on top of my cup. (I have a REALLY big cup). I put the grinds in, and then slowly pour boiled water in. Takes a few minutes but makes an excellent cuppa.

Last edited:
I used the decaf versions on a recent backpack trip. Yea, yea, I know, what's the sense of decaf coffee? I thought they were great and much better than any other instants I've used before