Lafayette to Flume - Franconia Ridge Traverse, 6/19/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
June 19, 2010: Franconia Ridge Traverse – Lafayette to Flume

Trails: Franconia Notch Recreation Trail, Old Bridle Path, Greenleaf Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Liberty Spring Trail

Summits: Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, Flume

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

It seems like we’re in a rut. This was the third time hiking a traverse of Franconia Ridge in three months. Isn’t list-chasing fun?

We set off from The Basin lot as planned and hiked north on the Franconia Notch Recreation Trail to Lafayette Place and the trailhead for Old Bridle Path. We had terrific conditions but knew the day was predicted to be hot and humid, but a pretty good amount of wind (~23mph – WSW) was predicted at the higher elevations. It’s an easy couple miles and provides a nice warm-up to the day. Plus, using this approach saves the need for a second vehicle. We passed through the area of Lafayette Place, made a brief stop at the trailhead, and were off for the AMC Greenleaf Hut via Old Bridal Path. All of the trails were in great shape for the hike and there was very little mud along the way. The only blowdowns we encountered were at the very end on the bushwhack shortcut back to The Basin lot.

As we hiked Old Bridal Path the contact with other hikers increased. At first there was only one pair that passed us before reaching the bridge across Walker Brook. Then, once we hit the climb along Agony Ridge the traffic really increased, in both directions. We knew it was going to be a crowded day on Franconia Ridge. The best we could hope for was limited insect problems and possibly some quiet trail south of Little Haystack. Even with the increasing temperature and humidity we were able to make good time to the hut where we had our first real break, enjoyed refreshment, and loaded up with additional water. Surely it was going to be a thirsty day. While we were there a number of others arrived.

Soon, we were ready for the final climb to the summit. A few weeks earlier in the section between the hut and the treeline, Sue stopped to make some snowmen – not today. Once we left the hut we generally kept moving to the treeline and then on to the summit. A couple of the groups that arrived at the hut while we were there passed on their climb. Looking toward the summit we could see quite a number of hikers ascending and descending. Also, while making our way along Agony Ridge and again from the hut we could view south on Franconia Ridge and see a steady stream of hikers headed in both directions. It seems there was general agreement; what a great day to be on Franconia Ridge!

We reached the summit of Lafayette and found the place loaded with people lounging in the unlimited sun and strong breeze (definitely, no insects). While we snapped pictures Sue noticed Bob & Geri arriving. They were hiking with Fran & Karen, and Val. We exchanged greetings and ended up hiking together south on the ridge. Their targets included Lafayette, Lincoln, and Liberty. Soon we were all on our southbound hike of Franconia Ridge.

The trip south was terrific with great conditions and enough space between groups of hikers to keep things pleasant. Surprisingly, on the southbound hike we met no other hikers that were familiar to us. Usually we see a few familiar faces but not today. We cleared Truman and Lincoln without mush of a stop and kept headed for Little Haystack. As we left Lincoln we could see a line of hikers ascending Falling Waters Trail. We hit Little Haystack and I made a quick check of our progress against plan to find we were in great shape – earlier than expected in fact. Without hanging around long we were soon headed south, back into the trees and making our way to our next target – Mount Liberty. Unfortunately, dropping elevation increased the temperature and moved us out of the nice breeze we were enjoying plus it seems the insects were hanging out in the spruce.

Aside from a couple very steep rocky sections south of Little Haystack the hike to Liberty follows a pretty mild section of trail. Sue was showing signs of not being herself and at a point north of the Liberty Spring Trail junction I asked if everything was okay. In fact Sue wasn’t feeling well and our progress to Liberty was slowed. We passed the Franconia Ridge – Liberty Spring trails junction and started the final section leading to Liberty. The others had moved ahead of Sue and me and we were back to a group of two.

We reached the open ledge before the actual summit area and the others were starting their exit hike. We said our goodbyes and decided to take a break. The open ledge was not as crowded at the summit area and there was a pretty good breeze coming through. Off with the packs and stretch out for a possible nap. We were quite a bit ahead of plan at this point and a little lounging wouldn’t hurt, and might help. I think we were there for thirty minutes to an hour (not sure) and Sue feeling a little better said it was time to go. We grabbed our things and wandered to the summit and were soon headed for Mount Flume, our final target.

The hike to Mount Flume was clear sailing with only a couple small mud pits that were both easy to get past with clean boots. Slowly we made our way between the peaks. We were still in great shape concerning time and took advantage of that. Eventually we reached Flume and found the place deserted. With some spare time, great conditions, and the summit to ourselves it was time to do a little more lounging in the afternoon sun. Sue was quickly coming back and a little more of a break could only help. All good things must come to an end and this was no different – we made our u-turn and started the exit hike.

The return hike and re-climb of Mount Liberty were much better than expected – Sue was back! Along the way we met a number of others – some completing a Pemi Loop and others just headed to Flume. We made another short stop on Liberty to enjoy the late afternoon conditions. Finally, we were on the exit hike back down to The Basin. The hike down from the ridge was easy and uneventful. We came to the sharp turn below the Liberty Spring – Flume Slide trails junction and left the trail for the bushwhack shortcut to the lot. The past few times we passed through this area were with headlights. This short bushwhack is easier in daylight, especially the final ~hundred yards. We hit the Franconia Notch Recreation Trail and followed it north to the waiting truck.

We needed only a few minutes to get packed and into comfortable footwear and dry clothes. Soon we were on the highway headed north to head south (u-turn at Cannon).

Thanks Sue for a great day on Franconia Ridge. Sorry the day didn’t really go as expected. And, sorry you weren’t feeling well but I’m happy you were able to pull yourself back and I’m sure you are too. As always I’m looking forward to our next adventure and hopefully many more.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Last edited:
Great running into you and Sue yesterday! Have to add one thing to your trip report - the glider that spent well over 30 minutes going back and forth on the ridge with some kewl banking turns that we watched.

Okay - two things - the other being the crows that appeared to be showing off their abilities to out do the glider. They appeared to be in full playtime mode.

Great day to be up there yesterday!

Great seeing you on the ridge Earl! Fran and I had and awesome day!!! Seeing the glider was so thrilling! My best to you and Sue!
Karen

Great day to be up there yesterday.

Very nice hiking with you and Geri. Aren't we all so lucky to have this beautiful playground in our state!!
Karen

Earl, great TR as always. It was me and my friends who you saw just below the Flume summit on our Pemi Loop. Sorry if we weren't fully coherent... long day! Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Great running into you and Sue yesterday! Have to add one thing to your trip report - the glider that spent well over 30 minutes going back and forth on the ridge with some kewl banking turns that we watched.

Okay - two things - the other being the crows that appeared to be showing off their abilities to out do the glider. They appeared to be in full playtime mode.

Great day to be up there yesterday!

Thanks Bob & Geri,

It's always great to bump into friends on the trail. It's even better to be able to hike along together as a group.

Thanks too for the added details.

Great seeing you on the ridge Earl! Fran and I had and awesome day!!! Seeing the glider was so thrilling! My best to you and Sue!
Karen
Thanks Karen,

It was really a nice surprise to see you and Fran on Lafayette. Thanks for saving me from the monster bee. ;)

Earl, great TR as always. It was me and my friends who you saw just below the Flume summit on our Pemi Loop. Sorry if we weren't fully coherent... long day! Looking forward to seeing your photos.
Thanks Blaze,

And, congratulations on the Pemi Loop. You guys really looked like you earned that one.

I'm not sure you weren't coherent as much as I can't hear. Unfortunately, I can't hike with my hearing aids which makes conversation on the trail with me very difficult. Sorry.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Last edited:
Earl, another great TR and great pics...That is a great trail. Looks like a fun day!! Thanks
Thanks.

We had a pretty good day from end to end. Unfortunately Sue was having a tough time for a while but managed to pull herself through. I think by the time we hit the trailhead she was almost back to normal (at least normal for Sue).

I ended up a little more toasted than planned. Evidently, leaving the sunblock in my pack on such a day doesn't help. :rolleyes:

Great Photos! The wife and I are doing a Hut to Hut trip in about a month so it's really nice to see a section of our trip in so much detail.
Thanks. I glad you enjoyed the pics.

It's a terrific place to be with good conditions. I've been up there in poor conditions and the place can be a real test. Good luck on your planned hike. ;)