Oak Hill, Concord area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
On Thursday I was in Boston, and decided to hike Oak Hill on the way back to Thornton. I left Brookline around 7 AM to beat the traffic, and was at the trailhead on Shaker Road a bit before 9 AM. Parking lot was hard, solid ice, so I put my microspikes on immediately. Temperature was about 16° at the trailhead, with basically no wind.

The Tower Trail (see map) rises at easy grades through open woods, climbing about 500 feet in about 2 miles. The trail system is very well signed, with every side trail (there are very many) clearly labelled, and enough blazes for even a beginner to feel comfortable. The summit is very developed; in addition to the fire tower there are two communications towers and many buildings (as well as two picnic tables).

When I come to a large clearing I always make it a point to go around it, seeing what paths (if any) leave it. Here I found (as expected) the road which goes down to Oak Hill Road. Much more interesting, I found a trail (not on the map) going north, then northwest, with lots of footprints in the snow. I obviously followed it (much more fun than going back the way I came); it was in good shape but with no blazes. After a while it started heading west, and in about half a mile it rejoined the Tower Trail at an unmarked junction. Is this an old route to the summit? On the way back I explored the Krupa Loop and the Dancing Bear Trail, and got to the Swope Slope Vista (not very good views yesterday).

Back in my car around noon (temps had risen to about 30°) and resumed my journey after a very pleasant break. The high point, for me, was the exploration of an unmarked (but, given the foot traffic on it, not unknown ;)) trail.

On a subsequent trip I plan to park on Oak Hill Road and explore the trails that start from that trailhead.

Last edited:
Much more interesting, I found a trail (not on the map) going north, then northwest, with lots of footprints in the snow. I obviously followed it (much more fun than going back the way I came); it was in good shape but with no blazes. After a while it started heading west, and in about half a mile it rejoined the Tower Trail at an unmarked junction. Is this an old route to the summit?
Is that the one that goes down the powerline to start, if so that was the route for awhile. The city of Concord owns or has easements on the western slope, but the actual summit is in Loudon so the trails connect over whosever property in Loudon they can get permission for. The city highpoint is where the boundary crosses the ridge, probably a stone wall. There is a cottage on the Loudon side which is presumably why the trail doesn't follow this most direct route.

Hello Mohammed!

Oak Hill is a great little hill isn't it?! So many trails and you'd never know that you're basically right outside the city. The trails off Oak Hill Rd. are great, less used and make a wonderful loop, though the parking area is quite a bit smaller (might fit 2-3 cars there). :)

Oh my, I thought you meant Concord, MA! Clicked on your link in eager anticipation that I'd found someplace new to explore tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Ah well, sounds like a great little adventure!

Oak Hill

On a beautiful evening in late August a few years ago, I climbed it and was very impressed with the view including north to Mt Washington and many other mts included in Scudders guide..sunset view was very nice..

I love hiking on oak hill. I try to go there at least once a week. There are all kinds of trails on there. I thought it might be fun to post a trip and redline it one day. It seems like a small hill but it would be quite a day. There are real nice woods there. It would be a great place for a newbie to learn to use a map and compass because its not too thick of woods to bushwhack in. The terrain is very interesting, the whole hill is pockmarked with little 10 and 20 and 30 foot hills; if you walked up one side and down the other, you would constantly be going up and down in between

A great place for full moon hikes. Also in the summer you can climb the tower and watch fireworks from various towns. A great place to mtn bike also.

Repeated the hike a year later on a much warmer day (above freezing at 9:30 AM at trailhead). Like last year it was a solid ice sidewalk all the way, but that did not make it much less enjoyable! A great way of breaking the Thornton to Brookline trips!

On a subsequent trip I plan to park on Oak Hill Road and explore the trails that start from that trailhead.

The trails off Oak Hill Rd. are great, less used and make a wonderful loop, though the parking area is quite a bit smaller (might fit 2-3 cars there). :)

I have since hiked Oak Hill several times (makes a nice break in the Thornton to Brookline trip :)), but always from the Shaker Road side. Today I finally decided that I had to try the Oak Hill Road side, a nice change. As Michelle says the trails are less used, and in a couple of places not completely obvious.

The Vista Way has been relocated and the vista itself moved, with a rather large clear cut to improve the views. Looks recent.

If you park at the main Shaker Rd site, the kiosk has info on this :)

Thanks! On my way back from Brookline today I stopped at the Shaker Road trailhead and took a photo of the sign:

P1050181.JPG

... I found a trail (not on the map) going north, then northwest, with lots of footprints in the snow. I obviously followed it (much more fun than going back the way I came); it was in good shape but with no blazes. After a while it started heading west, and in about half a mile it rejoined the Tower Trail at an unmarked junction. Is this an old route to the summit?
To answer my question first, it certainly looks like the original route of the trail as described in the first edition of the Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide.

I have hiked that trail several times, as when I hike Oak Hill on my Thornton to Brookline commutes I usually do a loop, up the old trail and down the current one. It is clearly maintained, as there are no blowdowns. On a recent hike I noticed for the first time tiny signs near both ends of the trail:

P1000026.JPG

P1000027.JPG