Does anyone here sit still?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
What I mean is this. I know that many of us are peakbaggers, redliners,...etc. and so this may go against our inclinations but does anyone take a day off on a pack trip without bagging a peak? I put this in general backcountry because of my examples. They don't take place in the northeast. I have done this a few times but always seems to be when I'm on vacation. In the northeast I seem to usually include grabbing a peak into the plans. I'm wondering if others do this and want to share stories about their experiences. He is what I mean. Once on a trip to Yellowstone after packing in about 8 miles and blistering my feet pretty good I spent an entire day lounging around Heart Lake instead of the planned attempt up Mt. Sheridan. We watched loons, a pelican, and elk. We swam and had a thoroughly relaxing day before packing out the next day. We liked it so much we did the same thing a week later in the Tetons. We spent two nights on Sunset Lake and the day between was like having our own alpine swimming pool! A couple of years ago on a Colorado trip we planned an entire day at the Boulderfield below Longs Peak. Conditions were such that we would need crampons and ax to summit but we had planned to lounge away the day taking only one short walk up to the Keyhole. We were using the trip to acclimate for more climbing later in the week but those 'rest' days are some of my fondest memories. Something about waking up in the wild and spending a leisurely day without the usual camp chores of breaking camp and setting back up. Anyone else?

When you've sat still and quiet long enough you will see and hear things that are missed when you're on the move. I try to make time in every itinerary to relax and enjoy the moment(s). That helps explain why sometimes we're not on the trail until the break of noon.

Don't have time for this approach? Then budget more time I say.

Don't enjoy this approach? Don't fret, you will someday.

It seems to me that most hikers that I've met don't camp overnight. Lots of day-trippers. Some have even said that they don't like to camp, and don't have the gear. I also just do dayhikes to "bag" a peak. I guess partly because I have a 5+ hour drive every time, I prefer to hike back to a lean-to and spend a night or two. But when hiking in the Adirondacks, my time is occupied either with hiking in/out, or climbing a mountain inbetween. It's when I do a canoe trip that I relax in camp and just look at nature.

Problem is, when I resumed paddle trips this year, after finishing the ADK-46, I still find myself wanting to hike up a mountain... "Hello, my name is Bob, and I'm obsessed with hiking up mountains..."

cleaning house on a vacation day

I had a great week of climbing (lots and fast) while staying with a friend. By the last day all we had left in us was to do her end of the season cleaning bonanza. :p
What a great day! Lots of NON-trail food to clear out of the frig, cool tunes on the deck and all the memories of a great week with a best friend. :)
There were even some thrilling views to be had from the cathedral windows that we had to clean. It was scarier than some cliffs I've been on - but that may have had more to do with the "scaffolding" that we had to use for the "peak"!!? :D :D

" That helps explain why sometimes we're not on the trail until the break of noon."

I do this too. Especially if I set up late the night before. Almost like I need a certain amount of 'camp time'.

When I hiked the Northville Placid trail last year, my cousin and I arrived at one of the Spruce Lake lean-tos around 3pm. We sat and enjoyed the company of two loons on the lake until about 8:30 when it got dark. The entire 10-day trip was like that. We would get up early in the morning, hike for 6 to 8 hours until we arrived at our next campsite and sat in peace for the rest of the day.

Definitely! Have had lot of great trips just out goofing off with the dogs, checking out off trail sights, doing easy things with lot of swimming holes, and backcountry camping just to get out of the house.

I don't post about them because:

• They are generally short easy trips that don't seem to be very popular here, and
  • Most are "off the beaten path" See Mavs "Sharing" Thread for further discussion on that topic!

I frequently like to take time out to just enjoy a spot, or day, or stream or peak even if it means that my trip "schedule" is mussed up as a result.

I've been somewhat surprised at the lack of this on the hikes and backpacks I've been on via this board.

I love the days when we get into camp early, and have time to just relax. Of course, this happens rarely, and when it does a peaked has already been bagged. Many times, if we get in early, we find a reason for a side trip. West Bond from Guyot as our most recent example.

With only 2-day weekends, though, it's tough to squeeze it all in: Gotta bag those peaks and see a lot of places. That, and Danielle doesn't believe in relaxing. :eek:

Love the low-key days, almost as much as I love the multi-peak monster traverse days! All things in balance, makes life nice and round.

I do the same with day-hikes as well. Instead of squeezing that extra peak or two in, I'll shorten the overall length of the trip, but lengthen the exploration and lounge time on those shorter trips.

Absolutely! I enjoy getting to the next camp early and just hanging around, and I've even been known to drive 197 miles just to hike 3 miles, hang out at a shelter by the river, lie in the hammock and read, and the next day head home.

I take days off or do easy days. This summer I would interperse 18 mile day hike days with other days sitting by a lake or pond reading a book and chillin out. I figure its my vacation and I get to do anything I want!

Taking a zero

On long distance hikes this is called "taking a zero". On the AT it's fairly common, otherwise you'd get burnt out. On peak bagging trips it's less common since you have more of a time constraint.

When Rambler and I went to Baxter from Monson, we allocated a spare day, but what do you know, we bagged a few extra peaks instead of relaxing. It depends on your mood I guess.

Pb

My wife and I do a lot of trail time,but we only hit a peak every once in a while. Almost all of our trail time is in winter,and we only do overnight trips,and usually limit the vertical gain to 1850' with a full winter pack. We have enjoyed many pond trails in winter. This season we will do more "base camping" off trail,and do some peak bagging with a day pack.
Usually,in winter,it's tough to just "chill" at a campsite,but when we are doing multi day kayak trips,we try to allow for a lot of "slack time" and just enjoy the scenery.
We must be doing it right-our neigbor came to check on us because we were home on a Saturday morning last summer!

When you've sat still and quiet long enough you will see and hear things that are missed when you're on the move

Well put Stan, I always take time on those rare occasions when I hike alone to pull off the trail sometimes with daylight fading and just sit still and let the normal flow of nature settle in around me. If the wind is right the animals will come in close, I've had deer walk right by. Theres nothing quite like the sound of a breeze rustling through the quiet forest, the thrumming of a ruffed grouse and the yipping of an awakening coyote as night settles in.

One of me and my friends' favorite trips involves both. We pack in to the Howard LT general area on Johns Brook in the ADK the first day, take the rest of the day off lounging in Johns Brook. The next day we do the lower range. Day three is dedicated to swimming, reading, and enjoying ourselves. Day four is the upper range, and day five is a quick pack out followed by more lounging in the seats of the noonmark diner. Lounging is the best part of the trip :D

peace
Oysterhead

How does this sound for sitting still?

My 28 year winter camping bud and I now use a semi abandoned log cabin in Quebec as our HQ. It's a 2 hour snowshoe across 3 different lakes to get to it and we don't know or care who it belongs to.

After a 6 hour snowshoe we fish a bottle of reisling out of the creek and sit back in the March sun sucking up both the reisling and the pm sun. When both of those are gone we head indoors, light a fire, suck back a cold beer and spend the next 2 or 3 hours watching the light on the lake in front of the cabin gradually dissapear completely. At the same time the portable CD player and speakers spill out whatever sounds we feel like listening to. Our main concern: to find the perfect music to accompany the dying day. We've tried Mozart, Brahms, Zappa and Beethoven and others but have yet to declare a winner.

As the light fades from pink to purple to dark purple and the deep blue shadows creep across the lake's expanse our supper of Indian food simmers away on the stove top. The Guwerstraminer awaits as total darkness envelops our little hideaway. Laying back on our bunks in the candlelight we gradually doze off with full bellies as a Beethoven string quartet does its number on our brains. The best thing of all is knowing that in the morning we'll be waking up only to repeat the whole process all over again.

I'm not a "peak bagger" anyway...more of a woods wanderer...I just like hanging out in the woods...whether backpacking, car camping, day hiking, or the multitude of other fun outdoor things I enjoy.
My day hikes are always on a trail to a mountain peak, but the peak itself isn't my goal...actually, I don't have a goal, other than to spend some time outside with nature. The trip I just did in BSP over 5 days had no peaks, but was the most enjoyable trip I've had this year.

Sometimes I race myself or the book time, but mostly I'm exploring and hanging out...

Ever spend a day sitting on the "beach" at chimney pond with a great book :D , or Wassataquoick lake a little swiiming a little paddling, or Wass. Stream napping and reading- as a good as any peak I have bagged in the Northeast or Wyoming- As I near the big 5-0 a day off to each day climbing is a good ratio, who can argue with a great camp breakfast!