Eastern Cougar declared extinct, sort of

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Georgia, very close to South Carolina, and just like New England many old timers and hunters swear that cougars still roam around here.

If the DNA is the same, does this mean that if a Western cougar travels to the East and takes up residence, we can call it an Eastern Cougar?

This declaration reminds me of so many others.
We can always count on hearing that some kid, or someone's wife, is a probable runaway by law enforcement because there is no sign of foul play. It is fairly predictable how those stories usually end.

Many "officials" decried the fact that cougars were killing the family pet and livestock in Boulder. They were after all elusive and would not get this close to people. The writing was on the wall and the day came when the cougar itself removed all doubts about the veracity of that proclamation. It was not a good outcome.

Check it out here.

http://www.beastinthegarden.com/

I think for the time being I will stick with the input from knowledgeable people who have had credible sightings of the "Beast in the Garden." I can appreciate the fact that some are released pets, but I believe the real thing is out there. As a very knowledgeable, highly educated person who works with wildlife informed me, they travel far and fast. He does not believe that we have a "breeding" population, but most likely we will in another ~20years.

Here kitty, kitty! :D

Last edited:
If the DNA is the same, does this mean that if a Western cougar travels to the East and takes up residence, we can call it an Eastern Cougar?

What do we call them if they move into CT and RI...flatlander lions?