Map Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
-I've often day dreamed about having a single map of the WMNF with all its trails (yes, really). Essentially, I'd like a combination of all the the maps in the WMG in one document (paper, not electronic). Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

-I am also looking for a WMNF relief map. There is one on the wall in the mens BR (sorry ladies) at the White Mountain Cafe in Gorham but they have no idea where it came from and its not from the bookstore side. The Mountain Wanderer maybe (I don't get that way often)? I would like it to be all inclusive of the Whites as well.

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks.

I have a topo map that is just the white mountains I cant find it online right know and It is at home so I dont know who makes it. Its a paper map that is waterproof and tear proof. I has all the nh 48 and milage intervals for each trail. I have had it on every hike in the whites and like it very much when I get home I will post who makes it.

I also have a relief map hanging in my living room they dont make one of just the white mountains I have the Nh Vt one the NH maine one cuts off half of the whites My girlfriend got that from here

http://www.amep.com/cat_home_maps.asp

Last edited:
DeLorme used to publish one as "Trail Map & Guide to the White Mountain National Forest." I think the trail descriptions are on the back, but I have it framed so I can't easily check. It was available in both folded and rolled form, the latter being what I have. Check with Steve Smith at the Mountain Wanderer, he may still have a few left.

I have one of the relief topo maps that I think is the one you are describing.
It does appear to have all of the Whites in it. Here is the information I could get off of it.
The title is Lewiston (region goes into VT as well as ME and NH) NL 19-10, Series V501P and was produced by HUBBARD of Northbrook Illinois 60062.
Mine appears to have been produced in 1956.
Information also included the following
Prepared by Defense Mapping Agency Topographic Center Washington DC from Eastern United States 1:250,000 Series V501 Edition 2-AMS Sheet NL 19-10 1956.
As it's 55 years old don't know if still available but the website mentioned earlier may have the new version or maybe HUBBARD is still in business.
Good Luck

I have one of the relief topo maps that I think is the one you are describing.
It does appear to have all of the Whites in it. Here is the information I could get off of it.
The title is Lewiston (region goes into VT as well as ME and NH) NL 19-10, Series V501P and was produced by HUBBARD of Northbrook Illinois 60062.
Mine appears to have been produced in 1956.
Information also included the following
Prepared by Defense Mapping Agency Topographic Center Washington DC from Eastern United States 1:250,000 Series V501 Edition 2-AMS Sheet NL 19-10 1956.
As it's 55 years old don't know if still available but the website mentioned earlier may have the new version or maybe HUBBARD is still in business.
Good Luck

I saw that one in Berlin on a wall at a dairy bar I think its out of print

Scott,

Are you looking to frame it or hike with it? The Map Adventures is a good one to hike with. I'm not sure you can get the entire WMNF on a single-side, rolled up map, suitable for mounting or framing. I imagine there is a small market for it at least within these four walls ;) but maybe not so much so outside them... Steve Smith at the Mountain Wanderer is probably your best resource.

Tim

Thanks for all the great responses! These are good places to look.

KROBI et al, The Lewiston Map is the one I saw in Gorham.

Tim - I'd like to hang it and probably just stare at it a lot when I'm not hiking. I'm familiar with the Map Adventures map but do not have a copy...I tend to use the tyvek maps that go with the WMNF guide in the woods. Ideally, I'd like something large, but may need to speak with a "mapmaker" for that...I've considered slicing up the WMNF maps and putting them together as one large one although overlaps may cause issues...I'm picturing something pretty big...

I printed out the whole WMNF from my copy of NG TOPO 4.5, dividing the images along the lat/lon lines for easier pasting. It's 4x5=20 sheets of paper, carefully taped together. The detail level is kind of low, but it let me circle my progress on the 48/W48...

Tim

Are you looking to frame it or hike with it? The Map Adventures is a good one to hike with.
MA is a good one to put on the wall but it has known accuracy issues to actually navigate with

Of course if you stay on major trails it doesn't matter what map you use

I have also wanted one similar all on one side so I could highlight every trail I have ever hiked on. Then have it on a wall to stare at too. That ends up making me also get out there to see the small peaks too or nice nature trails.

I once taped together the USGS maps of the WMs. It pretty much filled a wall, so wasn't very handy for the trail.

MA is a good one to put on the wall but it has known accuracy issues to actually navigate with

Of course if you stay on major trails it doesn't matter what map you use

what are these no accuracy issues I use this map a lot and would love to know?

I printed out the whole WMNF from my copy of NG TOPO 4.5, dividing the images along the lat/lon lines for easier pasting. It's 4x5=20 sheets of paper, carefully taped together. The detail level is kind of low, but it let me circle my progress on the 48/W48...

Tim

Great idea Tim. Low resoution is the reason I haven't really considered this one but I like it for how you're using it. I've found clear packaging tape to be nice for map repair and linking pages.

Shamples...exactly...and to see the bigger picture and how the regions relate more easily.

Rup, I'll probably end up doing the same thing you did...Ideally, I want this on a wall - fine with me if its 6x8, I'll move the Monets...."irises" and "cafes", who cares anyway? My walls need contour lines. :rolleyes:

DeLorme used to publish one as "Trail Map & Guide to the White Mountain National Forest." I think the trail descriptions are on the back, but I have it framed so I can't easily check. It was available in both folded and rolled form, the latter being what I have. Check with Steve Smith at the Mountain Wanderer, he may still have a few left.

It's no longer published and Steve didn't have any left. However, there is a new map out just within the past few months that basically does the same thing. I bought one from Steve (Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln) for $10. Great map for seeing the big picture of the entire WMNF.

what are these no accuracy issues I use this map a lot and would love to know?
Last year somebody reported he got lost because it showed the jct of Wildcat Valley Tr in wrong place which is pretty bad since the USGS shows it properly

I don't know how many errors there are but even one is too many if that's where you hope to go

If you have a bunch of maps that you can join together to make the image you want for your wall, you can scan them at high resolution, piece them together in PhotoShop into a single image, and get one printed at someplace like Staples. They have printers that can make really big prints and they do nice work. Some of their printers use laserjet technology and the ink is water resistant. Since they print banners for outdoor use, they must have water proof materials to print it on.

If you have a bunch of maps that you can join together to make the image you want for your wall, you can scan them at high resolution, piece them together in PhotoShop into a single image, and get one printed at someplace like Staples. They have printers that can make really big prints and they do nice work. Some of their printers use laserjet technology and the ink is water resistant. Since they print banners for outdoor use, they must have water proof materials to print it on.

This is an interesting idea...