Garfield Trail, Garfield Pond Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail to Mt Garfield - 9/5/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCarter

Reaction score
Monday Sep 5, 2011

Trail Conditions: Garfield Trail in excellent shape. One blowdown/stepover on the first switchback, but it has been fully limbed, so is no barrier. A few muddy spot (but it rained Sunday overnight). No evident damage from Irene.

FPA Boundary sign near trailhead of Garfield Trail is missing. Wouldn't normally be an issue, but since all the Gale River Rd sites were full Sunday night, I camped off-trail. Pretty sure I was well over the requisite 1/4 mile, but given the twists and turns near the trailhead, I can't be positive.

(Abandoned) Garfield Pond Trail is pretty much in the shape you would expect for a trail not maintained for 30 or 40 years. Treadway visible in most places, but lots of intruding growth. Lost the trail at the unofficial campsite North of the pond, and flailed around a bit finding it again. Had to search again at the campsite West of pond, just before popping out on the AT/Garfield Ridge Trail. For those looking to find the southern terminous of this trail, it is near the mysterious "Garfield Ridge Trail" sign that looks like it belongs at a junction, but there's no other trail designated.
Garfield Pond Trail around the pond is very wet, though for a lot of it, I think I was closer to the shore than the "historic" trail, based on comparing my GPS track to the DeLorme map data.

Garfield Ridge Trail to summit in fine shape. Returned to trailhead via Garfield Trail.

Comments: No view at 11AM, summit totally socked in. Met several through-hikers and a group of 5 doing a Franconia Ridge + Garfield Ridge traverse (Osseo Tr to Gale River Tr)

Special Equipment Required: None, except spare dry socks.

Your name: Jeff Carter

jeffc at apeirogon.org