Riga Plateau

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainmain

Reaction score
I realize this is a nh site, however, I am trying to reach the most people giving the short amount of time. I am leaving for a one night trip on Saturday. I plan on hitting the Riga Plateau area around Salisbury Ct. I have never been up there and I have not had the opportunity to get a map. I am looking to spend time on the ridgeline or in the pine forest. My hope is to hike from 8:30am to 2:00pm, set up camp and then hike out the following day. It does not have to be a loop b/c we will have two cars. I want to limit the trip to 10 miles (we have a newcomer).

Questions:

I need a entry point. Is Salisbury the right spot (arount rt 41)? Or should I seek an alternative route?

Does anyone have a map of the area online?

Does anyone have a better suggestion (i.e., alternative route)?

Thanks,
Jim

salisbury

The AT runs through Salisbury and you can find some helpful folks in the Village Store. We were up there a few weeks ago to hike Mt. Frissell and they pointed us in the right direction. They have maps available in the store to purchase. Also, there is a parking area for the AT just north of Salisbury.

PLease give a detailed trip repoert when you get back. I am very curious about the parking and camping on that area of the AT. I am slowly working on the CT portion of the AT when I am not in the White mountains.

My response from another thread>.....

Check out this map, great detail, used it when I hiked the area last year. I'd love to do it again in winter!

online map

Sorry, checked the link from home and on dial-up, it may take 3+minutes to load the map, but it is worth the wait. It does show parking areas, size and if the are overnight.

Click on the map and an enlargement box will appear(may take a few tries) at the bottom right. Click on that to enlarge.

Last edited:
What makes you think that this is a NH mountain site? This is a northeast mountain website! If you are talking about mountains north of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Great Lakes you are in the right place!

I love the South Taconic Trail which is much less traveled than the AT. Excellent parking is at the trailhead at Rudd Pond Farms and the other car is at Bash-Bish Falls. Hike south staying in the vicinity of Allander Mountain with its hidden cabin is a nice place to set up camp. Hope it is clear as you get an awesome sunset from Allander only a few hundred yards from your campsite at the cabin. On day 2, you might even add the CT highpoint near the summit of Frisell and the tri-state marker (NY/CT/MA) to your itinerary. Continuing south Brace & South Brace Mountains are gems before your descent.

Frissell +

Hey,
That is a great area to hike in, almost any time of year.
Incidentally, I am going back to Frissell this (calendar) winter, if anyone is interested in a little day trip. I will probably combine it with an afternoon/evening Greylock ski.

Last edited:
Hi Rainman,
A nice trip without any backtracking would be to pick up the AT northbound where it crosses Rt 41 just north of Salisbury. It will take you up and over the Lion's head (nice views) and then along the ridgeline to Riga Campsite. If I remember (it's been 8-10 yrs) there are other sites along the ridge but Riga is the nicest IMO. Day two you can continue northbound to the Undermountain Trail and take that down to the rather prominent trailhead and parking area on Rt 41 a few miles north of the first crossing OR you can pass the Undermountain trail and continue on the AT north over Bear Mountain. After descending the steep south side you will level out a bit and find the Paradise Lane Trail leaving on your right. This mostly flat trail will take you back to the Undermountain Trail which you can descend to the same car park that I mentioned above. Definitely check recent maps to make sure this info is still accurate and have fun!
-vegematic

Just thought I'd point out to you that there is another thread currently three up from yours titled "Question about Alander, Race & Everett". Check it out. It has some good info on the shape of the Alander Mountain Cabin. Alander Cabin I mentioned in my post and Race & Everett are on the AT.

askus3: I just hit up Brace Mountain and that ridgeline for the first time a few weeks ago, what a hoot! Beautiful area, and surprisingly quiet too! Never saw a soul... The southern Taconics are a pretty neat area, that's for sure, easily enjoyed by all.