Tuckerman Ravine trip 3/24/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Lots of pictures coming up for this report. Hope you have a faster pc.

Picture-123-L.jpg

The trip to Tuckerman Ravine was a trip that was supposed to happen about a month ago, but things kept getting in the way...poor weather, conflicting schedules, etc etc etc. But finally, everything aligned perfectly this past weekend, so me and three friends went up, stayed in a cabin in Jackson, and went to Pinkham Notch Saturday morning. We had amazing weather for about 95 percent of the trip. And off we go.

I knew it was going to be a good weekend when we saw a moose along Rt 118 in Groton, NH on our way to Jackson.

Picture-010-M.jpg

Saturday morning, it was time to get ready and go. But first...an amazing breakfast of bacon and eggs.

Picture-016-M.jpg

This is what 2 lbs of bacon looks like.

Picture-017-M.jpg

Now full, it was time to tackle Tuckerman Ravine. I'm not a skier, so I had no intention of doing anything as insane as some of those skiers. I just wanted to pick a spot in the ravine, sit, and hopefully take in some rays of sun. At first, I wasn't sure if we were going to get any sunshine...it was overcast, chilly and some light sleet was falling in the parking lot. But soon it cleared and the day turned into yet another beautiful early spring day in the whites.

On the trail now, running water, severe lack of snow.
Picture-019-L.jpg

Crystal Cascades, running fairly well

Picture-023-L.jpg

To give an idea of just how pathetic the snow conditions were on Saturday, there is this picture...remember, we are still in the month of March. Looks like May to me.

Picture-030-L.jpg

I was sucking wind like usual, but before long, we made it up to Hermit Lakes shelter. No matter what time of year, the views are dramatic.

Picture-039-L.jpg

First really good view of Tucks

Picture-041-L.jpg

Caution is always advised
Picture-069-L.jpg

Picture-072-L.jpg

Picture-078-L.jpg

Continued in a minute

Paat 2

Sitting around watching people ski and snowboard was an interesting experience. It looked like people were having the time of their lives. There were also a couple of near accidents. I am surprised more freak accidents don't happen up there, especially with the amount of people hanging around. On a few occasions I felt like I was an innocent bystander just waiting to happen. At one point someone lost their snowboard and it went careening down the ravine and crashed into a rock very hard, nearly hitting a few hikers. Then someone lost a ski and it missed me by about 25 feet. Gotta be careful up there!!!

More pics....

A true sense of scale

Picture-115-L.jpg

framed view back to the wildcats
Picture-094-L.jpg

Mattl doing a little ice axe practice

Picture-100-L.jpg

That just looks crazy
Picture-108-L.jpg

Picture-116-L.jpg

over towards Lions Head
Picture-120-L.jpg

Picture-127-L.jpg

Back at the floor
Picture-132-L.jpg

A new friend that I made
Picture-135-L.jpg

How about another pathetic snow condition picture? Above 4000 feet in March...

Picture-137-L.jpg

Avalanche areas...

Picture-139-L.jpg

And finally, here is something I don't think I've ever seen someone post a pic of...Hermit Lake
Picture-146-L.jpg

Hope you liked the pics. Everything aligned for a GREAT day of hiking and lounging. I got a sunburn on my face, which was a little surprising because the forecast was not for wall to wall sunshine, but oh well. If headed to the ravine today, or this week, don't take my trip report as gospel for conditions, because winter has returned to the mtns as of this morning, and the conditions have prob changed dramatically. Hopefully it won't look like May till May!

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...avine/22116867_NBwjX7#!i=1765498398&k=Rt7dRtV

grouseking

Loved the shots of the bacon and eggs. You now have me drooling. :)

Oh yeah, the other shots were nice too! :D

Good shots but depressingly, they look like late April early May instead of March.

I dont know what the canadians will do on Victoria Day this year unless we get some late snow. They normally crowd Tucks that weekend, so I expect they will be up on the ridges.

Nice pics! I was supposed to stay at a cabin in Jackson (different cabin) and ski the ravine on Sat., but couldn't due to a bad back. Glad the day turned out well! :)

Nice shots! We were across the street sking Wildcat on Friday, and could see people in the ravine. The snow cover on Wildcat was very thin in some places, like this

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2811429880048820105GnDMfu] [/URL]

Other areas were better

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2238921540048820105qfEGBV] [/URL]

Some trails had 5 foot wide paths connecting larger patches of snow. But I was impressed with Wildcats overall coverage and grooming, especially after skiing Sunday River on Sat. under many of the same conditions.

Here are a few shots of the Ravines from a different prospective showing the overall lack of snowcover.

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2275336970048820105JnVnPG] [/URL]

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2644925050048820105NKgyCp] [/URL]

Loved the shots of the bacon and eggs. You now have me drooling. :)

Oh yeah, the other shots were nice too! :D

And it was more tasty than it looked in the picture haha. Thanks!

Good shots but depressingly, they look like late April early May instead of March.

I dont know what the canadians will do on Victoria Day this year unless we get some late snow. They normally crowd Tucks that weekend, so I expect they will be up on the ridges.

It was pretty sad that it looked like May up there. But things are freshening up this week, thankfully. And hopefully all those bugs that were flying around me are now dead.

Nice pics! I was supposed to stay at a cabin in Jackson (different cabin) and ski the ravine on Sat., but couldn't due to a bad back. Glad the day turned out well! :)

That's a bummer :( Hope you back is feeling better so you get out there before the snow melts.

Nice shots! We were across the street sking Wildcat on Friday, and could see people in the ravine. The snow cover on Wildcat was very thin in some places, like this

Some trails had 5 foot wide paths connecting larger patches of snow. But I was impressed with Wildcats overall coverage and grooming, especially after skiing Sunday River on Sat. under many of the same conditions.

Thanks for posting those pics, really neat to see how it looks from a far!

Nice pics! TUX actually looks better/had more coverage than I expected!!!!

You are forever the optimist then, because I still thought it looked pathetic. haha Thanks for the kind comments!

Becca,

same day different hill, not mt.w., looks actually really good (not for march though)one of my favorite zones, it's offered up turns to me as late as July 11th in 2009..

and yes tux is pathetic for late-march, but getting healthier as April dawns.. turns till May, minimum!:)

same day different hill, not mt.w., looks actually really good (not for march though)one of my favorite zones, it's offered up turns to me as late as July 11th in 2009..

and yes tux is pathetic for late-march, but getting healthier as April dawns.. turns till May, minimum!:)

Is that Jefferson Ravine? Looks like they are heading skiers left of Jeffersons knee.

Amazing pics!! what kind of camera do you use? I can't beleive how the snow cover has gotten so much worse in just a few weeks.....

Great photos Phil! Unfortunately I only saw the first few since I got to the one of the bacon and couldn't make myself scroll down any further. :rolleyes:

Seriously - what a great day in Tux. Every year we say we're going to get in a watch the spring skiers. Looks like we're not going to make it again this year. Glad to see that there's at least as much snow as there is left in the ravine. Thought after the last couple of weeks it might all be gone.