Trying to plan Alpine Garden bloom hike...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandaddy

Reaction score
Hi all,

With the warm spring that we have experienced in New England, I'm wondering if any prognosticators out there (or those with recent experience) have an idea when the ideal time to head up to the Alpine Gardens Trail would be this year. Thanks!

From my records...

I checked out some of the photographs I took from the past couple of years from the Alpine Garden and have down as "peak" bloom time for alpine azalea and diapensia:

2010: ~ June 2
2011: ~ June 7

This year I would think that the warm temperatures from the past month or so might accelerate/move up the peak bloom time -- wild flowers elsewhere at lower elevations have, from my records, been blooming anywhere from two to three weeks earlier than last year.

However, given some of the dry stretches we've had during the same time, the alpine flowers might be less than spectacular this year; some folks up in the peaks the past week or so have reported alpine vegetation as looking a bit parched.

But, the rain forecast for the next few days could kick-start some of these blooms; I'd expect to see them starting next week.

If you go up there anytime soon, let us know what you see.

Grandaddy,

Having been up on the Gulfside between Jefferson and Clay on May 19th and seeing a few blooming diapensia, alpine azalea and lots of lapland rosebay (all early, especially the lapland), I'd say, this year, you'd be wise to aim for the first week of June.

Best Time ?

After many years of leading an Alpine flower hike for the AMC NH Chapter and Trailwrights we found the mid June period to be the best overall. We have always missed some earlier ones and some later ones as they all have their own schedule.
Now for the contoversy side. We found that hiking to Lakes gave us the biggest variety than the Alpine Garden. Yes the abundance of flowers in one place is better at the Garden but we found more variety around the hut.including the two rarest of all (secret). The Moss Plant near the upper lake and the Avens on the way up via Ammonoosuc was always seen.The rare Alpine Brook Saxifrage found only on Mt.washington locally and Montana is also in the vicinity,not in the Garden.
The Dwarf Cincuefoil the rarest of them all is near here although and protected from hikers to keep them from trampling. There was a viewing area at one time with plants grown in the Lab at UNH and transplanted. You could at one time ask the hut crew for a viewing but I do not know if that is still an option.
The only flower that is not in that area as far as we know is the Mt. Fly Honeysuckle and is in the Garden for sure.
Another reason for our liking the hut area is because of weather concerns. You can pretty much do the hike in any weather and you have the hut to go to if caught in Thumpers etc. Not so with the Garden.
Hope this helps with info and good luck. that hike is a real fun hike.