Madison & Adams via Airline 07/16/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmtnpiggy

Reaction score
It's been over a month since I set out a goal to work on my dog Chunka's list of 48 by taking some time off from work....I finally got another day off but sadly, Chunka injured her right foot somehow over the weekend at a family camping trip.

But, who knows when I can take another day off for a hike, so I drove out, then got lost :) I had originally planned on doing Pierce and Jackson but where I ended up, was Appalachia trailhead. I started the hike way later than I had hoped, and was not sure if I could do both Madison and Adams on this trip, but was hopeful. The trail was in great condition, wet spots right before getting out to the Alpine zone, but nothing messy. The bugs were out, but they kept off of me. I got to the junction to Adams & The Hut, the clouds seemed to be both on Madison & Adams but I saw more blue skies towards Madison so I decided to go there first. There were lots of people hanging out at the hut, but I was on a mission so I didn’t really stop in. I got to the top of Madison and right on cue, the rain started :) The wind was blowing enough to make me a little chilly so I put on my rain jacket and headed down to the hut. This time I went in and said hello to the fellow hikers and had my p&b sandwich. I waited for the rain to let up, I was a little hesitant because of the fog, but headed up to Adams. At some points I huddled between the rocks to wait for the rain/wind to die down a bit, and at times I stood for a few minutes waiting for the fog to move so I can see my next cairn. I am thankful for the cairns and the markers, and on the way down, I must have said I LOVE YOU, to whoever took the time to take out a pen to scribble 'airline' with an arrow pointing in the right direction. I was about to panic when I didn’t see 'Airline' on it.. Even though I ended up on mountains I had not planned on hiking, and Chunka could not make it up with me, it was still a great hike.

No special gear needed,
Trail was in great Condition, I don’t think there was enough rain to make it any different unless it rained over night...
I saw a few people with supplies up to the hut, so they should be all set for more hikers!

Last edited: