Horn, Bulge, Cabot, Terrace, Weeks, Waumbek, Starr King 10/25/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
In keeping with my goal of trying to complete the NEHH before this time next year, I decided to try and knock four out in a day. I needed the Horn, the Bulge, North Weeks, and South Weeks. So not quite a fully Kilkenny Ridge Traverse, but most of one. I got in contact with Lefty E, who graciously gave me a ride from Starr King trailhead up to the northern Unknown Pond trailhead, this wouldn't have been possible without you! Thank you doesn't even begin to say how grateful I am. Unknown Pond Trail was damp, with one giant mud pit down low, then improved as I climbed. This is a nice sidehill route through open woods until just before you reach the Kilkenny Ridge junction. From the junction, the climb to the Horn went quickly (the scramble at the top is tricky!), and the views were astounding. Uneventfully over the Bulge and Cabot, to the first big drop of the day. I think that's what did my legs in, all the big gains and losses throughout the trip. 1000 feet here, 600 feet there, it really took its toll. I saw two people all day, within a half mile of the car, and I saw about 10 times that many moose. The Weeks were the roughest part of the day, Terrace being the second roughest. Route finding was interesting, and I ended up bushwhacking for about 10-15 minutes between North and Middle Weeks. All in all, a very worthwhile experience, and one I'm likely to repeat, though maybe not all in a day.

The full report is HERE.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited: