Opinions solicited - Greenleaf Trail to Lafayette in the winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCarter

Reaction score
It appears from the various route descriptions that "everyone" who hikes Lafayette in winter uses Old Bridal Path and/or Falling Waters, and that Greenleaf and Skookumchuck are seldom used.

I've hiked 3 out of 4 of these (except Skookumchuck) in the not-winter, and it would seem that Greenleaf would be a fine route based on steepness and such. Are the trailheads for these two (Tramway parking area and Skookumchuck TH) plowed in winter?

Is it a case of since nobody hikes these routes, they aren't broken out, so nobody hikes these routes?

It appears from the various route descriptions that "everyone" who hikes Lafayette in winter uses Old Bridal Path and/or Falling Waters, and that Greenleaf and Skookumchuck are seldom used.

I've hiked 3 out of 4 of these (except Skookumchuck) in the not-winter, and it would seem that Greenleaf would be a fine route based on steepness and such. Are the trailheads for these two (Tramway parking area and Skookumchuck TH) plowed in winter?

Is it a case of since nobody hikes these routes, they aren't broken out, so nobody hikes these routes?
Believe you hit the nail on the head. Greenleaf is a lonely trail especially through the eagle cliff area,which must have loads of snow right now.I was there 3 years ago in October ,the day they were shutting down the hut.It seemed the hut people use the greenleaf trail quite a bit.

Both the Greenleaf Trail and Skookumchuck Trail are excellent in the winter. I love snowshoeing through Eagle Pass (Greenleaf Trail), or heading over North Lafayette (up the Skook and then south on the Franconia Ridge Trail).

Sure, you may have to break some trail, but these options are lovely variations from the OBP/Falling Waters conveyer belt. Also, if you've never done the Skook in the winter and you're breaking trail, there is at least one section that might be tricky to navigate.

From my experience, the trailheads for both are plowed in the winter.

Enjoy!

Eagle Pass has at least one obvious avalanche route to the south that would dump right in the trail and I expect some potential to the north from the cliffs . Definitely something to consider. I also expect that sun shine will not be present much of the day.

Skookumchuk has a long term rep for disapearing with no trace in the upper elevations of the trail. Probably less of an issue if going up, but potentially a big problem if you are intending to descend it after a long day.

Obviously the Tramway lot is plowed for skiers, and Skookumchuck perhaps with a little delay for snowmobilers

My take is that Greenleaf is a better trail but OBP/FW loop is more popular either for the extra 4k or the ridge experience

Skookumchuck is longer hence less popular hence less likely to be broken hence less popular ..., note that at least one person has died from missing trail jct going down in whiteout