Loop Hike along Beaver Brook XC Ski Trails: 03-Feb-2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Along US Rt. 3 (about 4 miles west of Twin Mountain) is the trailhead for the Beaver Brook XC Ski Trails. On 03-February, there definitely wasn't enough snow for skiing, and so I decided to do a 5.8 mile loop-hike via the trails named: Beaver Loop, Badger and Moose Watch.

Winter is about the only time you can comfortably make use of the trails at Beaver Brook. During the warm-weather months the corridors have areas where mud and muck can be calf-deep, as well as an ample supply of tick-laden underbrush. Yup, I speak from experience!:eek:

I won't sugarcoat this trail system by saying that it's terrific. There are a number of fallen trees across the corridor, and there are patches of visible slash from old logging operations. And, if you're hiking these trails when there is only a skiff of snow on the ground, then you'll definitely need some type of foot traction device such as Microspikes. As mentioned above, this trail system has several wet/swampy spots which become large sheets of ice during the winter months. (Of course, if we ever get a significant layer of snow, then the ice becomes a non-factor since you can ski right over it.)

There are a couple of spots where there are some views. Photos can be seen at my BLOG.