Weekend the NE Kingdom/Northern NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I was up in the NE Kingdom of VT and northern NH this past weekend, and I thought I'd show a few pics. I did some minor hiking, but most of it was driving around, checking out the sites.

This is the Sheffield town forest, and it appears all the signs are in German.
IMG_4494-L.jpg

Hunter is very much in his element
IMG_4474-L.jpg

After walking up an unplowed driveway to a trailhead, we saw this-

IMG_4478-L.jpg

IMG_4479-L.jpg

The door was unlocked to the silo, and there were maps of the trails inside. Already this was turning into one of the more interesting hikes.

I immediately regretted not bringing snowshoes, there was much more snow in the hills surrounding Lyndonville and St J. At some points, I was breaking trail up to my knees. Thankfully this isn't a 4k trail, because I would have been skewered thanks to my lack of preparation...oh and the fact that I have inconvenienced them. But I digress ;)

Since there were no real views, my eyes were open for wildlife sign. And there were plenty....first this snowshoe hare left tracks all over the place.

IMG_4483-L.jpg

I believe this is porcupine scrapes-

IMG_4486-L.jpg

IMG_4487-L.jpg

Now for the tours-We drove up to Island Pond, and around that area for the afternoon, to check things out.

A neat pedestrian covered bridge
IMG_4495-L.jpg

VFtT
IMG_4507-L.jpg

Island Pond, watching the snowmobilers come in and out.
IMG_4541-L.jpg

Part two-NH coming.

Dixville Notch is beautiful! The snow added to the scenes.

IMG_4515-L.jpg

Well I guess we know where all the snow is.
IMG_4524-L.jpg

IMG_4518-L.jpg

Lake Gloriette
IMG_4521-L.jpg

IMG_4526-L.jpg

After checking out Dixville Notch, we went north to Pittsburg, and pulled off to get a few shots of Lake Francis. This part of the state truly is beautiful, and I can't wait till I can visit it for a longer period of time.

Lake Francis
IMG_4537-L.jpg

IMG_4538-L.jpg

By then, it was time to turn around because darkness was setting in. I hope you enjoyed my tour.

Your pics are positively beautiful. Thank you.

Intriguing report, thanks for sharing. I love far northern NH. I just wish it wasn't such a long drive, it makes it difficult to visit as often as I'd like.