Mt. Croydon- looking like a "no go" for now

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hello all,

I would like to thank all of those who responded to my post and were enthusiastic to gain entry into this private "game preserve". The lack of correspondence from the Blue Mountain Association leads me to believe that my inquiries are not welcome at this point. As hunting season approaches I doubt very highly that there will be another opportunity to ascend this county high point any time soon.

My somewhat overly flattering letter did not open the doors I had hoped it would. I will be sure to let all of those who sent me private messages know should things progress. If anyone has a lead for next year please send me a private message and hopefully we can gain access for a small and respectful group of hikers.

Be well,

Z :D

Bummer, but it was certainly worth asking. Thanks for taking the initiative on that!

You are very welcome, guys. I will continue working on this and hopefully I can establish a contact between now and next year. Maybe this winter when the hunting season slows down someone will take the time to reply back. More letters probably wouldn't hurt...

As stated previously, if any developments are made I will be in contact with the three of you and the few others who expressed interest.

Be well,

Z :D

"Update on Croydon Fire Tower: A friend just talked to the Superintendents office at the preserve and was told that Jerry is not working there anymore and under no uncertain terms was he suppose to being doing what he did. He continued to say that there will no longer be access to the preserve.

the above is copied from another thread about nh firetowers. hopefully this will not ultimately be the case.

bryan

"Update on Croydon Fire Tower: A friend just talked to the Superintendents office at the preserve and was told that Jerry is not working there anymore and under no uncertain terms was he suppose to being doing what he did. He continued to say that there will no longer be access to the preserve.

As was pointed out last summer, Jerry was retiring this fall and the new superintendent could be either or harder for hikers to deal with - I guess we know the answer to that for now :)

However the superintendent is an employee not the owner and the board had authorized the admission of hikers. In the past some board members have been more friendly to outside visitors than others, and both the membership of the board and their individual opinions can change with time. The superintendent must abide by board policy but can make things either easier or harder.

I know of 3 groups that were denied admission last September because Jerry was busy wrapping things up, including a group that had quit early due to rain earlier in the summer, so it is nothing personal SS. It may be that attitudes will change after the new superintendent settles in, or it may be that the board was waiting for him to retire to change policy. I guess we'll find out :)