finding trailhead for North Twin Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
The _White Mountain Guide_ says to take Haystack Road (FR 304), "2.3mi west of Twin Mountain village", which on the _Guide_'s map looks like the road that crosses rte 3 at Haystack Brook. (Haystack road is not named on the Guide's map.) On that map (which is consistent with the description in the text of the guide), the road turns easterly and reaches the Little River at the trailhead.
On the other maps I've seen (acme, yahoo, mapquest, topozone), the easterly branch of that road simply doesn't exist. Rather, Little River Road heads almost due south (from a point about a mile east of Haystack Brook) closely following the Little River to the trailhead just before the municipal reservoir (at McCaan Rd).
It's a long enough hike without circling around looking for the trailhead - can somebody who's done it confirm which map is wrong?
Thanks,
--Nartreb
PS What are the odds the road (whichever one it is) will be plowed to the trailhead?

nartreb said:
What are the odds the road (whichever one it is) will be plowed to the trailhead?
Slim to none. The road you are asking about is gated in winter, and the first Forest Road south (and west) of the Last Chance Cabins on Rt. 3. The AMC map is correct.

Last edited:
A parking suggestion for North Twin (or Peak Above the Nubble or Haystack Mt) when Haystack Rd is closed: heading north on Rte 3 (toward Twin Mt) about 1/4 mile past the junction of Haystack Rd, on the left side of the road there is an area where several cars can be parked off the pavement. This is almost opposite the Last Chance Cabin sign. I've parked here the past two winters without any problems. The spot isn't plowed but there hasn't been much snow the last two winters. But I guess you could bring a shovel.
The bushwhack to bypass the first two water crossings is almost a herd path.
Happy Hiking, Don L

Forest Service Rd 304 / Haystack Rd

As said above, this road is closed in Winter. However, this year, there is (has been) logging going on in the forest, adjacent to the forest road. Don't be surprised to find the road plowed at least part of the way, to accomodate the logging trucks. You can park along side Rt 3, but not in the entrance to the gated forest road (logging truck access). The road is 2 1/2 miles in length from Rt 3 to the North Twin trailhead. Parking at the 7 Dwarf's Motel does cut off at least a mile of the road walk. The owner is a really nice guy, and paying a small fee seems appropriate for the privilege to park there.
www.7dwarfsmotel.com
The snowmobile trail(s) leading away from the motel complex have been disturbed a bit in the recent logging. Which ever one you end up on, just make sure that you travel South when you have a choice to make on which way to go. Also, skiers have recently been on the former Hale Fire Warden's trail, which is also accessed from the terrain at the 3rd river crossing of the North Twin trail. Their tracks will continue on the East side of the river, and the hiking trail will cross to the West / South West.

I hiked the Firewardens trail to Hale a couple of weeks ago and The 7 Dwarfs Motel was closed. We parked on the road, close to the bridge which is not gated this year. There are no "No Parking" signs on the road and we didn't have any problem (this may not be the case if snowplows need to clear the road). The shortest way to the North Twin T/H is to cross the bridge and immediately take a left and hike parallel to the brook, for about 1 mile. This route avoids the road walk altogether.

thanks!

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot in about two weeks and let y'all know how it went.

PS Firewardens trail to Hale? I was on Mt Hale a couple of weeks ago, only two trails reach the summit: Hale Brook Trail (from the northeastish - Zealand Rd trailhead) and Lend-a-Hand Trail (from Zealand Hut).

nartreb said:
Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot in about two weeks and let y'all know how it went.

PS Firewardens trail to Hale? I was on Mt Hale a couple of weeks ago, only two trails reach the summit: Hale Brook Trail (from the northeastish - Zealand Rd trailhead) and Lend-a-Hand Trail (from Zealand Hut).
Not all trails are on the maps. Search around here and you'll find enough info to follow the trail. Try not to post about it too much to avoid and bad side effects of publicity, but it's already fairly well known, even if technically against regs.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Not all trails are on the maps.

Yes, but I remember how dense the spruce was on the summit - I figured any trails would leave an obvious gap, like this Now that I think about it, though, there was something very narrow and snowed-over in the smaller trees on the opposite side, that I gave up on after a few feet. I didn't think it was a man-made trail, but now I know!

Seven Dwarfs had been in danger of being lost as a place to park due to people not stopping in (prior to a fee being charged I believe) & at least asking for permission to park there.

FW Trail, old trail in an old AMC guide discontinued being officially maintained years ago when Fire Tower removed. (most of the summits that had towers had very direct routes to them, pre thoughts of over use or erosion control).

Allows for a loop of Twins, Zealand & Hale for people of above average speed & fitness or early risers. I've looked for it on the bottom with no luck