Burroughs Range Loop - Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg YEAH!

Reaction score
I am headed to the Catskills for Columbus Day weekend and I want to hike the Burroughs Range Loop starting and ending at Woodland Valley Campground. I have the ADK guide to the Catskills and the big problem with that book is they don't give elevation gains. I did some searching on the internet but have come up with many different numbers ranging from 2700 - 6000+ feet. That range is a little too broad. I was wondering if someone could give me some more accurate numbers?

I haven't been to the Catskills since Nov 2006 when I did an overnight loop of Windham High Peak and the Blackhead Range. I am looking forward to getting out of the Whites for a weekend.

Thanks for the help

If you had the luxury of spotting a car at Woodland Valley and doing a through hike to the Slide parking area, it is about 10 miles and 3700 feet total elevation gain (or 11 miles if you take the Curtis-Ormsbee trail down Slide, which I highly recommend).

Since you don't have that luxury, a loop starting and ending at Woodland Valley would be about 16 miles /4400feet if you pick up the hiker right of way just past Winnisook Lake, or add about 500 more feet of climb if you road walk all the way down to the Giant Ledge parking at the hairpin turn (as I did on my first time many years ago).

Thanks for the info. No car spot so I am taking the long way around. Should be fun and I am looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

I should add that there is a charge for day use parking at Woodland Valley through Columbus Day weekend (i.e., while the campground is open). You could park for free at the Slide PA. Either way, I greatly prefer that loop clockwise.

Also, what I called a hiker right of way is technically an easement where you can pass through Winnisook Club property. More info on how to find it is here:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=165194&postcount=4

I agree with Northshore as to the direction of travel. Starting at the Slide Mountain PA on 47. The CO trail is more interesting but adds a little more distance. You do get some nice views to the East Branch of the Neversink from that trail.

When you say hiking- do you mean a day hike, or are you backpacking? Good campage in the Slide-Cornell col. A small spring is past the last camp site as you begin to ascend Cornell. Also- you will cross some small springs as you descend Wittenberg. One reliable spring as you go up (or down) from Woodland Valley at a waterfall.

Check with the Ranger on water sources. And have a good time!

No backpacking, this is a day hike. I think I am just going to stick with parking at Woodland Valley and head up Wittenberg first. Thanks for all the info, especially with the hiker ROW after Winnisook Lake. I read about it but direct information is better.

Another question, and I probably know the answer to this one but, does the water source from the pipe need treated?? Also, is it reliable? That would save me from carrying more than two liters of water.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Water would be a bit of a gamble because its been on the dry side but TFR found the spring still running a week ago:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22871

No one who has had to sign waivers and disclaimers and all sorts of frivolous pseudo-legal documents will tell you not to treat the water, but I know people who drink the water from that spring without treating it. YMMV.

I drink from pipes in the Catskills all the time, and I've never gotten sick. But like NS said, YMMV.

Also, we just had a rain storm pass thru, so the springs should be running again for a while.

(The spring near the Bouton leanto was almost dead Saturday, it took 2 hours to fill a bottle up to 700 ml, one drip at a time.)

There is no more pipe- I assume you refer to the Slide Mountain pipe spring that was removed about 10 years ago. That spring is approx. 300 vertical feet below Slide's summit and found on a short (approx 50') unmarked spur trail- it will be on your right if you start from Woodland Valley.

All water should be treated- but that's just my opinion. That said- I have drunk from that spring without treating the water. I was also hospitalized with a colon infection for a week, after the last time I drank untreated water. That's just me- I have UC. I won't be drinking untreated water- not in this life time. Not unless I run out of options.

I am the trail maintainer for part of this trail (Wittenberg to Slide) and I would appreciate feedback on any trail problems that you notice along my sections.

The trip is an awesome one and weather permitting you will have view points along the way- one of my favorites is at a big pebble (of Devonian conglomerate) on a ledge just over the top of Cornell. It has great views and I always stop there for a break.

Please start early- carry a light. Be safe. Enjoy.

3950' on my altimeter, placing it a little more than 200' below the summit. And it was a lot less than 10 years ago that the pipe was stolen/vandalized/removed. I'm sure it was not the DEC. Given that the pipe used to be there, I trust the site.

The Burroughs Range Loop was excellent. Thanks again for all your info. I did the loop clockwise starting at Woodland Valley and heading up Wittenberg. I got to the parking area at 650am so the office wasn't open for me to pay. I was on top of Wittenberg by 830am and Slide by 1100am. The ledge scrambles along that trail were some of my favorites. The trails were all in good shape with a few patches of mud along the hiker ROW. I didn't see anyone until I was on my way down Slide. Then the massess arrived. There were some dayhikers and a ton of backpackers. I am not sure where they all planned to spend the night but judging by the number of bootleg campsites above the 3500 foot mark, I am certain they found someplace illegal. Back at my car before 1pm and back to Scotia with plently of time to rest up before the Union College hockey game. Oh yes, the springs were all flowing nicely but I passed on any water as I had plently.

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully I can get back next October to do Hunter Mountain.