Looks like a USFS winter cut on the east side of RT 16 this winter in Pinkhams notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
While driving through Pinkham's notch lately I have seen activity at a roadside pull off spot on the east side of the road north of Rocky Branch parking lot. I assumed it was post Irene work but last week I saw a crew assembling a large portable bridge which was then moved down to the Ellis river. I expect that there is going to be cut starting soon in the area. This area is rarely visited as there are no hiking trails and really no local peaks. It is in the elevation band that was damaged by the 1998 ice storm. Given the topography I also expect this area was selected as it is out of sight of RT 16. Given that the WMNF is national forest and multiple use, I have no objections to the cut and expect that this will provide some early successional forest in the area, so I look forward to seeing the extent of the work and possibly visiting it in a few years.