Black Mountain Cabin/ ski trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cristobal

Reaction score
I'm interested in renting the Black Mountain Cabin in the Saco Ranger District (near Jackson) for a few days. I've seen the Black Mountain Ski Trail,which accesses the cabin, described as moderate. A few questions if anyone could help me -
Is snowshoeing allowed on the trail? I don't have cc skis.
Is the trail a moderate hike on snowshoes? OK for pulling a pulk? Any water crossings?
Are there good walks around the cabin? I've seen reports that there is no trail to Black Mountain's summit, is it doable as a bushwack?
Thanks for any advice.

"Black Mountain" is really a range. The cabin is towards the south end, while the official summit, x3,304, is at the north end, about 2 miles from the cabin in a straight line. If you wanted to visit the summit (which is on the NE3K list), you could get a lot closer to it by the East Branch or Bog Brook Trails.

"Black Mountain" is really a range. The cabin is towards the south end, while the official summit, x3,304, is at the north end, about 2 miles from the cabin in a straight line. If you wanted to visit the summit (which is on the NE3K list), you could get a lot closer to it by the East Branch or Bog Brook Trails.
I have made the summer traverse of the range from Bog Brook Trail to the ski area, there is nothing really bad but of course it will probably be unbroken

A few years back some people rented the cabin and tried to take their airport luggage there, not a success