3 North Twin Trail Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC3

Reaction score
Hi,

We're planning on attempting North Twin this Sunday.

1. Is the road from Route 3 to the trailhead (Haystack Road, I believe) open and clear to automobiles this time of year?

2. Anyone been up recently and know the conditions?

3. The AMC WMG mentions 3 crossings that are "very difficult or impassable in high water". Given the cold temps expected this weekend, is that even a consideration?

Thank you!

Ted Chmura III
Ludlow. MA

TC3 said:
Hi,

We're planning on attempting North Twin this Sunday.

1. Is the road from Route 3 to the trailhead (Haystack Road, I believe) open and clear to automobiles this time of year?
Nope, it's gated at Rt 3. You'll need to walk in, though parts of the road may be plowed for logging use, the public is not allowed to drive it. You can cut some time by parking near the 7 Dwarfs Motel and walking/skiing the snowmobile trails, but earlier reports were that it was closed this year.
2. Anyone been up recently and know the conditions?
The last report on the trail conditions page was before the storm.
3. The AMC WMG mentions 3 crossings that are "very difficult or impassable in high water". Given the cold temps expected this weekend, is that even a consideration?
It can still be a concern, considering some rain fell during the week.

-dave-

TC3 said:
The White Mountain Guide describes how the first two crossings when you are ascending from Haystack Rd. can be avoided by bushwhacking along the east bank of the river. IIRC, this is only about a 1/4 mi. bushwhack and avoids the two most difficult crossings of the river.

You will still want to be careful on any remaining stream crossings.

I hiked North and South Twin back on Jan 15th. If you go in from the end of Little River Rd (by the 7 dwarfs) it cuts off a couple miles round trip than if you hike the usual road which is closed in winter. After about a mile you'll connect with that road if you keep heading south-southeast bearing, meaning you bear left at your second intersection I think, either way you'll run into the road. Then its just the N twin trail to the top. And yes, the river crossings are a biatch. Might be better now if it is frozen but I went on the 40 degree weekend up there and was forced to search for a place to cross only once. The first crossing is the longest so if it is not passable there I would suggest staying on the east side of the river. There is somwhat of a trail with some very minor bushwacking until you meet up with the real trail (yellow blazes) where it crosses back over the river the second time after about a quarter mile. Then follow until the third crossing where you'll have to find the best place to cross, which shouldn't be to bad. Again, if the weather has been cold this shouldn't be an issue. Then it starts really climbing for a while until you reach the summit. If you make good time you can make the extra 1.3 miles to South Twin where the view of Washington is incredible when clear. Its a pretty easy 1.3 and worth it if you've got good time and weather. You'll need to be on the trail by 9 to make it back by dark though.
Enjoy.

see you there

TC3, I'm heading up there on Sunday myself, gonna try the bushwhack from Little River Road. I asked similar questions on
this thread a few weeks back, then got delayed. An important point from that thread: the AMC map correctly shows the positions of the roads, most road maps do not.

Changing Plans based on this great info

nartreb said:
TC3, I'm heading up there on Sunday myself, gonna try the bushwhack from Little River Road. I asked similar questions on
this thread a few weeks back, then got delayed. An important point from that thread: the AMC map correctly shows the positions of the roads, most road maps do not.

Nartreb,

Based on:

1. The additional mileage we'd have to put on to get North Twin (by virtue of Haystack Road being gated) and,
2. The fact we need to be on the road back to Ludlow, MA at Noon on Sunday and,
3. Our plans for tomorrow (Saturday) to try to get both Tripyramids (and MAYBE even Whiteface),

...we're gonna scratch plans to get North Twin this time up and probably just take a Lincoln Woods walk on Sunday before makeing the trip back.

Thanks to all for the detailed info! Sure helps a guy plan a weekend of hiking! :)

Ted Chmura III
Ludlow, MA

north twin conditions

Addendum to my earlier post: Not only are most road maps wrong, most maps also show the trail in the wrong position. (The AMC White Mountain Guide has it right, though.) [The location of the crucial third river crossing, and the trail's direction after making it, are wrong on all other maps I've seen: the trail continues due south (and fairly flat) for a while after the crossing, whereas most maps show it turning dramatically west and climbing sharply.]

Here is one of the few road maps that's accurate.
As you can see, Little River Road (which is plowed) will get you to within about a mile of the trailhead at the end of Haystack Rd. Follow Little River Rd to the gate with the No Trespassing signs, park there and cross the wooden bridge (snowmobile trail) a few feet away to the west. Immediately (as in as soon as your feet leave the bridge) turn left (south) onto an old railroad grade (there will probably be ski tracks, but no snowmobiles due to some very minor downed trees). Follow this straight south, parallel to the river, til you hit Haystack Rd at the trailhead.

The trail is very well marked and blazed, just follow it and you'll have no problems. (Ignore your trail map!) We barebooted yesterday (even off-trail), but obviously fresh snow might mean you'll need snowshoes. The three stream crossings are easy to spot and easy to make (the river is frozen solid at all three). The bushwhack that avoids the first two crossings will probably be packed down more than the trail itself, but either way will work fine. I recommend staying on the trail to avoid all risk of following the wrong tracks (eg, mine when we did some silly bushwhacks for the fun of it).

This isn't posted under trip reports because we turned around before getting very high on the mountain (we let our maps convince us we were on the wrong trail, and doubled back for a lot of fruitless searching), so I can't say whether, for example, crampons might be needed on the steepest sections.

Last edited: