Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bond Traverse - my vote is N to S

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The traverse is not technically difficult but its typically close to double the average day hike in distance and time. There is water available at Zealand Hut which means start out with only minimal water and then tank up at Zealand Hut. There is water at Guyot Shelter but many folks don't want to walk down to get it plus it requires treatment. If its a warm day make sure you are well hydrated and have plenty of water in your pack as the next water is south of Bondcliff after the climb up and down West Bond plus the climb up Bond and the long exposed ridge to Bondcliff. There is a lot of sun exposure, use sunscreen and reapply it. Sunglasses are not optional. I would strongly recommend figuring out what electrolyte supplement works for you in advance as its easy to get cramped up mid day. Drinking plenty of water does not equal getting enough electrolytes!.

Bring lots of snacks but don't bring any big meals.

Start early AM, if possible spot a car the night before at Lincoln Woods. There is no downside to starting at or before sunrise. Try to take lots of short breaks instead of multiple long ones although its real easy to spend far too much time on the summits (except Zealand).

There is a lot to be said for bringing a change of socks and soaking your feet along the Bondcliff trail. The walk out along the lower Bondcliff trail (formerly Lincoln Woods trail) and the Lincoln Woods trail will be a lot longer than you remember and its easy to really run out of steam. It is basically impossible to get lost on this trail and if it takes you until after dark don't get stressed.
    Excellent info! Thanks everyone as well for your thoughts. Not in best of shape but this route seems to be the best option. How many liters per person of water should we plan on if we decide against refilling at Guyot? Can we get to Black Brook on 2L per person?

I've done 11 or 12 N-S and 1 S-N. I too prefer the N-S for the reasons stated.
    What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Ok, I'll do lamb.

Larry & I revisited this yesterday to answer the question. Answer is, it's a tough but great day no matter which way you go!
    Keith
    NE 4k 67 x 2

It's a few hundred feet less climbing going North to South but you get Zeacliff and the view from the hut on the last five or so miles out going north. If I was going North to South I'd opt also for the Twins and Bonds. assuming we had cars situated.

My one traverse was a key swap with Dave M where we had no views. We were part of the northbound crew. Have done half Pemi traverse doing Bonds and Twins & then back on Twin Brook after Galehead and also Bonds from Galehead which is almost a Twins & Bonds without N. Twin. Is there a bad way to do Bonds? (when you can't see anything maybe)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Hoping to get the N-S traverse in 1st week of August (as always reasonable weather permitting) as we'll be up at Lafayette for the week. Any thoughts on how much water to pack in and availabitlity after Guyot Shelter?

West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury, CT)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikin'Dools View Post
    Hoping to get the N-S traverse in 1st week of August (as always reasonable weather permitting) as we'll be up at Lafayette for the week. Any thoughts on how much water to pack in and availabitlity after Guyot Shelter?
    Depends on how much water you need per effort expended, I'd imagine, and of course on the weather conditions. My rough reckoning, to plan for the worst, would be to pack as much water as you need to get to Zeacliffs from Zealand Road, if there were no hut. I've not hiked the Bonds, only Zealand on a there-and-back, so am extrapolating from other hikes I've done and what I've heard and read about the Bonds and Guyot.
    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; NEFF: 14/50; Northeast 4K: 27/115

https://www.facebook.com/Arkie.in.CT
    http://www.panoramio.com/user/5078936?show=all

Yeah, really no hard and fast answer. Effort expended, Heat index of the day both could be quite variable. Not a bad idea hiking with minimal water to the Hut (as mentioned by "Peakbagger") then topping everything off. Planning for the worst possible scenarios is always a prudent approach. Economy of effort is what i'm looking for as i've not done anything this long by at least 5 miles, so a side trip down to and back from Guyot is not something i'd look forward to but would not hesitate if it seemed we were consuming our water at a faster rate and needed it. Thoughts much appreciated and noted!

There is always the option of treating water from Zeacliff Pond. It's only .1 miles and less than 100' down from the Twinway and the bulk of the elevation gain will be out of the way.
    Ian

I'd bring one liter for the trip to Zealand, then fill two or three bottles and drink up at the hut. From there, I'd filter any other water. It's a bit of a drop down to Guyot and from the hut just a few miles away. IMO, once your on Guyot, the rest is pretty easy and the views help make it easy. You might need to filter it as you get well below Bondcliff but there's plenty down low.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I'd bring one liter for the trip to Zealand, then fill two or three bottles and drink up at the hut. From there, I'd filter any other water. It's a bit of a drop down to Guyot and from the hut just a few miles away. IMO, once your on Guyot, the rest is pretty easy and the views help make it easy. You might need to filter it as you get well below Bondcliff but there's plenty down low.
    Yeah, with the collective experiences and opinions i'm getting that seems to be the general plan i'll be going with. Or it could be that Colchester minds think alike? Thanks!! Looking so forward to this one