worth a new "Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites" thread ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always stop at the White Mountain Cafe across the street from Burger King. The coffee is tops and the sandwiches really good quality. No mystery meat or pink slime here. A good value for the money. And thank god no drive up window!

Plus, I believe it is co-owned by one of our own.

Last edited:
I always stop at the White Mountain Cafe across the street from Burger King. The coffee is tops and the sandwiches really good quality. No mystery meat or pink slime here. A good value for the money. And thank god no drive up window!

Plus, I believe it is co-owned by one of our own.
If you like burgers whether it is beef,turkey or vegetable check out Wicked Fresh Craft Burgers in North Conway next to HomeGoods. They also have hand cut fries and Beer! https://www.wickedfreshburgers.com/menu

Mr. Pizza is a fantastic post hike place. The name is kind of misleading because there is so many other food options there too.

Mr. Pizza is a fantastic post hike place. The name is kind of misleading because there is so many other food options there too.

I agree. Great Italian all around. Especially The Chicken Parm!

Wicked fresh wasn't good for me. Tried it once. Too much money probably for what it was. I find much better deals somehow. Probably would go to Burger King there instead.

One thing I object to generically is places that have on line menus that don't list prices. Wicked Fresh checks that box so I would be less inclined to walk in the door initially. I guess they are going for the North Conway high end tourist crowd so they may believe that their target audience is not interested in prices. Their competitors apparently don't have this approach https://www.moatmountain.com/sites/default/files/MMtn Menu May 2019.pdf

Attachments

• 22D76AA2-2729-44B6-B6BB-13C29330D323.jpg
    22D76AA2-2729-44B6-B6BB-13C29330D323.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I'll add my vote for Mr. Pizza. Great variety to choose from the menu, craft beers and I really enjoy eating out on the outside deck with the Androscoggin flowing by!

For 29 years Woodstock Brewery has been the jackpot. Almost all my White Mt. trips have me passing it on the way to I91 VT Bradford on the way home.

Reminiscing: By far, our favorite restaurant ever in the White Mountains region was Govoni's, a quaint small white converted cottage tucked between rt. 112 west of North Woodstock and a small scenic gorge of the Moosilauke Brook. Opened summers since 1914, the family operated in the winter at Loon Mountain in a building which subsequently housed a nature center, then a ski rental center ... don't know what it is now, don't go back much since the restaurant closed not to mention that we went on to other mountains and regions. We went back many times and made a game of "bagging" every table like our quest in the mountains.

Seating was limited, maybe serving a capacity of 45. Red and white checkered tablecloths and old Chianti bottles stuffed with dripping candles were all the decor needed. First come, first served but there was a "lounge" and, if you were lucky to get one of the half dozen seats, and your adrenaline boost from your hike wasn't enough, the cars coming down from Kinsmen's Notch 10 feet away at the speed of light might help. Alternately, you could take your cocktail out to a couple benches on the porch or take a short walk over the footbridge in back and a short trail on the other side of the gorge.

The family relocated their winters to Breckenridge, CO and continued to operate the restaurant in the summer until, eventually, no one in the family was interested in the business. They leased the premises for a few summers under strict guidelines on loyalty to the menu and recipes, which were basically delicious home cooked Italian dishes at very reasonable prices. I still have a late '90's menu filed with my nearby hiking info and here's what I'd probably order today: soup di giorno bowl 2.95, eggplant parmigiana with a side of spaghetti, family style house salad, fresh baked bread 10.95, or possibly a special off the board, and a homemade dessert.

We've been to most of the restaurants listed in the thread but none can compare to Govonis in ambiance, value, quality and service. I bet we'd go back to the White more often if it were still there.

Reminiscing: By far, our favorite restaurant ever in the White Mountains region was Govoni's, a quaint small white converted cottage tucked between rt. 112 west of North Woodstock and a small scenic gorge of the Moosilauke Brook. Opened summers since 1914, the family operated in the winter at Loon Mountain in a building which subsequently housed a nature center, then a ski rental center ... don't know what it is now, don't go back much since the restaurant closed not to mention that we went on to other mountains and regions. We went back many times and made a game of "bagging" every table like our quest in the mountains.

Seating was limited, maybe serving a capacity of 45. Red and white checkered tablecloths and old Chianti bottles stuffed with dripping candles were all the decor needed. First come, first served but there was a "lounge" and, if you were lucky to get one of the half dozen seats, and your adrenaline boost from your hike wasn't enough, the cars coming down from Kinsmen's Notch 10 feet away at the speed of light might help. Alternately, you could take your cocktail out to a couple benches on the porch or take a short walk over the footbridge in back and a short trail on the other side of the gorge.

The family relocated their winters to Breckenridge, CO and continued to operate the restaurant in the summer until, eventually, no one in the family was interested in the business. They leased the premises for a few summers under strict guidelines on loyalty to the menu and recipes, which were basically delicious home cooked Italian dishes at very reasonable prices. I still have a late '90's menu filed with my nearby hiking info and here's what I'd probably order today: soup di giorno bowl 2.95, eggplant parmigiana with a side of spaghetti, family style house salad, fresh baked bread 10.95, or possibly a special off the board, and a homemade dessert.

We've been to most of the restaurants listed in the thread but none can compare to Govonis in ambiance, value, quality and service. I bet we'd go back to the White more often if it were still there.
Definitely was an iconic spot.

Last edited:
A few updates for Gorham (and Berlin), The thru hikers favorite Chinese Buffet seems to be down for the long term. My bet is their business model just doesnt line up for Covid precautions. Lbby's has been open two weeks on a reservations only outdoors basis. Noonas the Italian place on exchange street is open with inside and outdoor dining but last thing I knew they were on a limited schedule. I am unsure about Saalt Pub. Mr Pizza is open. Js is open. The Road Hawg BBQ place is open but be aware they are doing a bait and switch with their on line menus which are out of date on pricing. I got a surprise on takeout and informed the staff that they need to update the menus prices but nothing has been done yet. The food is still good but they never really expanded the BBQ menu that much. They are going for the ATV crowd. The former wood fired pizza restaurant appears to under renovations, the for sale signs are gone. I am surprised the place needs much renovation as it was completely gutted to the walls and a new roof put on not that long ago. Burger King is now an empty lot with overgrown landscaping. McDonalds is no longer quick or convenient, the drive thru line is usually backed up to the entrance to the lot quite often. I think they may have reopened some interior service. Dunkin Donuts is drive through only and like McDonalds has a constant backup.

New to the line up there is a bakery/breakfast and lunch place at the corner of RT 2 (the old Moe's variety) its strictly take out. I expect its competition for White Mountain Cafe. The Eastern Depot was relocated from Berlin to the Berlin Gorham road (just north of the railroad trestle) last year and seems to be doing well at their new location. Its breakfast and lunch with dinner on weekends with mix of indoor and outdoor dining. The new ATV parking lot and trail entrance was supposed to be open by now but isnt yet, when the its open, the Depot will be at ground zero. There is a new burrito place called Exile Burritos on Main Street in Berlin just across from city hall, its the Chipolte model without the franchise fee, very similar to the new Burrito place on the strip in North Conway. I expect most hikers are unwilling to drive up that far into Berlin but its a good place for Burritos

Most of the restaurants that serve liquor in the area only sell the major distributors on tap and few local bottle regional brews along with the fake kraft beers sold by the big beer companies.

We had pizza both nights from Catalano's on Rt. 302 over by Twin Mountain and Route 3. It's been a bit of a revolving door throughout the years. Other foods looked very appetizing also. Only thing I would bring up is they close at 8:00 PM

The new place just up RT3 next to the post office in Twin Mtn has a good standard pizza (thick crust) and sandwiches. Usually a bit less crowded than Catalano's. Its lot friendly place with the new owners.

The new place just up RT3 next to the post office in Twin Mtn has a good standard pizza (thick crust) and sandwiches. Usually a bit less crowded than Catalano's. Its lot friendly place with the new owners.

I've tried that place 3 times since the new owners. Won't go back. High prices and sub par food. Compared to a few other places we can go. But as we mariners say "any port in a storm".

This is the best we have found since migrating from Gorham. This is real Italian pizza that is well worth the extra 5 minutes for us as opposed to Littleton.....but we do take-out and only have brief exchange with the hosts....which seem fine and typical northern dry, but we always make each other smile. I buy extra cannoli and appreciate the high quality, but it costs.

I guess I don't read well- I was speaking of Catalano's which I only discovered this past winter.

2nd edit: maybe something more useful- just read this morning that the former Mac's Market in Franconia is now re-open after being purchased and rehabbed by the Presby Dynasty. They are stating that they are putting a heavy focus on their cafe-food offerings and to some peoples interest- a massive craft brew carry-out selection.

Story on page 2
https://www.caledonianrecord.com/ne...pdf_58de1fb0-bc82-11ea-a3c5-8bc93727438a.html

Last edited: