Isolation, Owl's Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dailey7779

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Saturday, June 6th

Trails: Glen Boulder, Davis Path, Notchland Inn Trail, Nancy Pond Trail, Carrigain Notch Trail, Wilderness, abandoned Wilderness, Bondcliff, Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook, Owl'd Head Path, Lincoln Woods.

Trail Conditions: Glen Boulder is steep and rough below treeline, above treeline grades ease out and is a nice hike, there is one short ledge scramble at treeline which can be slippery when wet. Davis Path is a mixed bag from Glen Boulder trail junction to Mount Davis, some spots are ok but others have a lot of mud, the trail is wide in most spots so it's not overgrown, the bog bridges are rotted and some swing up when stepped on. Between Mount Davis and Stairs Mountain the trails becomes narrow in spots with overhanging small tree branches, it's muddy in spots too, and there are two mini cols where the trail can become obscure as there are muddy boot prints and herd paths going in a few different directions. If heading north to south the trail veers right in these mini cols. If you notice yourself heading east (towards Route 16) out of these cols you are going the wrong way, (FYI, the Davis Path mostly heads along the ridge or just below it hugging the western side above the Dry River Valley). From Stairs Col to Route 302 the trail conditions improve dramatically. Nancy Pond Trail is in fine shape, easy to follow, unless there is heavy rain the water crossings are all easy, the top of your boots may get wet but that's about it. Same goes for the Carrigain Notch and Wilderness trails, even though they are not blazed they are easy to follow and the crossings are a non issue. I crossed the East Branch at the site of the suspension bridge that was removed in 2010. It's a wide crossing, if you head downstream you could probably find a way to rock hop across, I crossed where the bridge was and had to wade the last ten to fifteen feet between my knees and waist, the current was not strong so I had no issues keeping my balance without poles. FYI, after heavy rain this crossing would be dangerous. The old abandoned Wilderness Trail is easy to follow, it's the old railroad grade. Bondcliff, Franconia Brook, and Lincoln Brook trails had the usual mud in spots. The water crossings over the Franconia, Lincoln, and Liberty Brooks were running low. If you go up or downstream you could rock hop across with dry feet, the straight shot across gets your boots wet to your ankles. Owl's Head slide is loose rocks at the bottom and some broken slab in the middle, there is a path on the right side if you want to avoid the slide about half way up it. There is a decent herd path between the old and new summit once gaining the ridge.

Comments: I had been looking to do this crazy route in one day for a few years. It didn't disappoint, it was challenging and very rewarding. I had a blast covering the miles between Pinkham Notch and the Kanc over really old trails. HUGE thanks to Whitney for spotting the Jeep the day before and dropping me off at dawn on Saturday to start my hike :) Report / Pictures

Name: Chris

Email:
[email protected]

Last edited: