Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion piece on climbing Mt.Everest.

Climbing at altitude is not all training either. Some people are better at it then others, simply by luck. I've never been that high, but I've been over 14,000 ft. more then 50 times. I always have done well, much to the dismay of some I have climbed with. They would go to bed early and sober, I would stay up late drinking and smoking. Summit day, I would often summit before anyone. I could go from San Francisco to Yosemite, sleep in my truck and summit a 14er the next day. Same in CO, land in Denver, drive to trailhead, sleep, 14k the next day. As far as Everest, I would love to do it, but no way, I would ever fight with those lines.

There is also a genetic component to altitude tolerance. The folks in Nepal at hihg altitude have evolved to deal with it.

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There is also a genetic component to altitude tolerance. The folks in Nepal at hihg altitude have evolved to deal with it.
    My guess is that most of these folks make heavy use of O2 for sleeping at and moving above the South Col where the deaths occur.

Sadly, the total focus on the summit is misplaced. You are only half way when you touch the top of any mountain. The critical half is yet to be done.
    cb
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    My guess is that most of these folks make heavy use of O2 for sleeping at and moving above the South Col where the deaths occur.

Sadly, the total focus on the summit is misplaced. You are only half way when you touch the top of any mountain. The critical half is yet to be done.
    cb
    Yes, to quote Ed Viesturs, "Getting to the summit is optional. Getting down is mandatory."
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Encouraging news - The Nepalese Government was able to finance at least one "clean up" mission:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...ounds-of-waste

This is the tip of the iceberg, and there's a long way to go. But it's a start!