Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditional maps/guidebooks obsolete?

An example of ap versus map. I knew a group that was doing a trip to Ice Gulch today. I had things to do but stopped by to say Hi. All they had was various aps like All Trails with questionable trails databases. They are accustomed to blazed and signed trails. The All Trails and some other ap showed a loop from the south end It did not even show the new trailhead on the end of Randolph Hill road. The route didnt show the turn onto the Cook Path and showed using the Randolph Town Forest Road which is not signed. They probably would have found their way out at some point but expect they would be real confused and may have elected to go back down the gulch. Not one of the group had a map, I live nearby so I went back home and got them a real map and got them going in the right direction. It was obvious that many in the group really were clueless on reading a map.

Sanbu,

"Gaia" is gaiagps.com
    "trs" = TRs = trail reports
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    All they had was various aps like All Trails with questionable trails databases.
    Maps can be quite different than what really is the current state of the trails. New trails get added, existing ones get rerouted, old ones get abandoned and fall out of use. For example, I have already modified AT location on OSM several times in places where it was rerouted.
    Regarding the specific location that you described, I took a look at a couple of different sources i.e. AllTrails, OpenStreetMap & Strava Heatmap. They don't agree on what paths / wood roads are there. Strava Heatmap shows use for a segment that is not marked on AllTrails, while it is also showing no use for some wood roads that are marked on OSM - perhaps some abandoned logging roads. Finally, I also pulled out a map that came with 30th edition of WMG (Map 6: North Country - Mahoosuc Range) and perhaps I missing something but that map seems to be consistent with Ice Gulch / Cook Path loop that AllTrails is showing. I am not familiar with the area, so I would be hiking with open mind given the information I just looked up. Yet I suspect most hikers, especially if they join a group, don't feel the need to do their homework which is just too bad.
    AllTrails:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-14.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	6235
    OpenStreetMap:

Name:	2019-07-14 (2).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	6236
    Strava Heatmap:

Name:	2019-07-14 (1).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	6237
    Snippet from WMG 30th edition, Map 6:

Name:	2019-07-14-WMG-30-6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	6239

I forgot to mention in my prior post that maps relying on user-contributed data are also subject to vandalism, so that also should be kept in mind when planning.

All true. In some areas of the country in the rock climbing community, there are people who want to jealously guard their little "secret area." They will intentionally create false paths and incorrect directions on the "crowd sourced" map resources.

Of course one of the first things taught in even a brief Land Navigation class is that the man-made features on any map are subject to change. In most cases the topography does not change as much. But that trail, or building, or even highway may have moved or disappeared since the map was prepared.

Of course also, that discussion is irrelevant today, because 90% of the hikers never educate themselves, and mindlessly walk behind someone else, smart phone in hand, maybe occasionally looking at a trail marker.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    All they had was various aps like All Trails with questionable trails databases..
    Not all apps are equal. Same as having a lousy map or a good map.

I doubt any of them had Guthook's App. He doesn't publish a section until his company has developed the GPS data.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    Not all apps are equal. Same as having a lousy map or a good map.

I doubt any of them had Guthook's App. He doesn't publish a section until his company has developed the GPS data.
    All Trails is notoriously bad. Guthook pays someone to hike the trails they feature with GIS equipment, they don't rely on crowdsourcing map data.