Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Winter Rescue Kicks Off Season

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I get what you're saying SkiGuy.

I'm just thinking of those poor F&G dudes who had to slog to the summit of Lafayette, at night, in zero viz, to pull these folks off.

Maybe the answer is better way finding with bigger/more frequent rock cairns in some of these obscure areas. As I recall, many of the ones on Lafayette are only knee-high and often buried. Of course there's nothing like a good compass bearing scribed onto your map to get you in the general Greenleaf neighborhood in IFR condx .
    I’m not sure who’s responsibility that trail corridor is for trail maintenance. But taller cairns is a good idea. Seems like being just above a Hut the AMC with all their effort would have done this already.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Per WMNF policy, hiking trails are maintained for summer use. The only trails maintained for winter use are ski trails.
    WM 48 / NE 67 / NE 100 / W48 / |62.4%
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Region Leader Presidentials-North
    Trail adopter Carrigain Notch Tr, Stillwater Jct to Nancy Pond Tr.

Is it a problem to bring some fallen sticks up the trail and place them in the snow?

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Remix View Post
    Is it a problem to bring some fallen sticks up the trail and place them in the snow?
    No, but that is only a temporary solution. They will rot, or blow away, or fall over.

We actually brought wands when we went above tree line for Katahdin a few years ago, but we were coming back the way we started, and we took them with us when we descended.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

While in good weather, I can see going either way on the loop, in winter or any poor weather, I prefer doing Lafayette first. You can stop at the hut and assess the conditions ahead as you can or can not see the summit a mile away. Decide on conditions, then you can go through the trees and reassess the weather again. If the weather is good, you continue, if the weather changes while somewhere on the ridge, it's easier finding the Falling Waters Trail from Little Haystack and getting into the trees. In most cases, the wind & weather will be on your back or side which is preferable to going into it. Hikers seem to prefer going forward than turning back.

The Greenleaf trail up high has several turns and getting back into the trees in the right spot. Getting into tree cover either on the falling waters trail or staying on the ridge if unable to find Falling Waters and entering the trees and trying to maintain the ridge will put you in the trees on the Franconia Ridge Trail between Falling Waters and Liberty. (This section of FRT in winter is less likely to be broken out and it will drift in sooner so snowshoes are a necessity.)
    Last edited by Mike P.; 12-11-2019 at 04:34 AM.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    We actually brought wands when we went above tree line for Katahdin a few years ago, but we were coming back the way we started, and we took them with us when we descended.
    Did you make the wands from a DIY link?

I have never gone above treeline in the winter unless it is a bluebird day (because I hike alone and have an aversion to risk).

Placing wands, in addition to my GPS and M&C, would be very similar to how I first learned traveled off trail with flagging.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    Did you make the wands from a DIY link?

I have never gone above treeline in the winter unless it is a bluebird day (because I hike alone and have an aversion to risk).

Placing wands, in addition to my GPS and M&C, would be very similar to how I first learned traveled off trail with flagging.
    I'll have to defer to @bignslow, if he still reads/posts here.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Ha. Kind of ancient methods. Mammoth Cave is full of edvidence of early man using Reeds in a bundles and entering deep leaving them along the path to relight on the way back.