Thread: Mt Washington Avalanche Center - Limited information available until mid January

Mt Washington Avalanche Center - Limited information available until mid January

WMUR is reporting that the avalanche center will not be putting out daily avalanche reports due to limited staffing until mid January. They will do weekly summaries.

I am looking for a link for confirmation but haven't found one yet.

If confirmed, that's too bad because their avalanche reports are incredibly well detailed and helpful. A lot of work must go into those.
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

https://www.mountwashingtonavalanche...cale-forecast/

"We look forward to the winter season that is knocking on our door! Currently, our snowfields are discontinuous and not yet fully developed so General Avalanche Information remains the appropriate product. As more snow accumulates and snowfields grow, we will move to a 5-scale danger rating and daily forecast. At this time, January 15th is our target date should conditions warrant. Until then, please remember that safe travel in avalanche terrain requires training and experience. Our forecast is just one tool to help you make your own decisions in avalanche terrain. You control your own risk by choosing where, when, and how you travel."

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    WMUR is reporting that the avalanche center will not be putting out daily avalanche reports due to limited staffing until mid January. They will do weekly summaries.

I am looking for a link for confirmation but haven't found one yet.
    I notice to that effect has been on the site for at least a couple weeks. I'm curious what's causing the staffing shortage (budget vs availability, or something else).
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Hopefully they didnt get "volunteered" to go down work on the southern border

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    https://www.mountwashingtonavalanche...cale-forecast/

"We look forward to the winter season that is knocking on our door! Currently, our snowfields are discontinuous and not yet fully developed so General Avalanche Information remains the appropriate product. As more snow accumulates and snowfields grow, we will move to a 5-scale danger rating and daily forecast. At this time, January 15th is our target date should conditions warrant. Until then, please remember that safe travel in avalanche terrain requires training and experience. Our forecast is just one tool to help you make your own decisions in avalanche terrain. You control your own risk by choosing where, when, and how you travel."
    Is that actually true or just a cover story for the staffing? When I was on the Ammo last SAT there were definitely a lot of solid, drifted sections that were firm, sintered snow on top of powder. I even "triggered" some tiny little pieces and thought to myself the ravines must be pretty dangerous right now with this type of snow.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; NY 46: 6/46