Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maine orders arrivals to self-quarantine and closes lodging

Wow...Hunsley Hills gets a mention on VFTT! Now that's obscure. We all must be getting desperate!
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I've never seen Willowdale or Dow Brook so busy. However, the lot for Hunsly Hills has been barren and I don't think anyone is crossing the street to Linebrook Woods from Willowdale.
    As busy as Willowdale may look, I know where I can go to, to be away from the masses. It would be far less crowded if they didn't allow all that single-track mountain bike trail to be built in there. I'd love to know who approved that. I've been a mountain biker for decades but don't think that should have been done in there. Every single secluded spot I'd go to, to look for and photograph deer, has a trail running through it. Rant over.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    As busy as Willowdale may look, I know where I can go to, to be away from the masses. It would be far less crowded if they didn't allow all that single-track mountain bike trail to be built in there. I'd love to know who approved that. I've been a mountain biker for decades but don't think that should have been done in there. Every single secluded spot I'd go to, to look for and photograph deer, has a trail running through it. Rant over.
    I stopped being a trail steward for that area when the MTBs took over. NEMBA seems to have a much larger influence than ECTA these days.

The couple of bikers I saw on the Shenipsit Trail in CT between Case Mt. & Birch Mt. Road (they are 700-800 foot hills/ridges) were in no hurry to move off trail for social distancing. It's easier for me to look for a spot where I want to step several feet off the trail to allow bikers or other hikers to pass. Of the three places I've been since 3/22, the hikers I've interacted with on trails have been looking for places to step off, it's just been a matter of who found the better spot first.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

I am not sure many understand the big picture. I don't.

The virus doesnt stop in May. Merely, the curve has been flattened. (Some predict a second wave). People are still going to get sick and die, just at a lower rate and maybe with a 100% chance of having a vent available.

Are the restrictions for recreation going to be tightened while the restrictions for working loosened? Are we going to have to obtain a license (positive antibody result) to travel for non essential reasons?
    Last edited by Remix; 04-08-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remix View Post
    I am not sure many understand the big picture. I don't.

The virus doesnt stop in May. Merely, the curve has been flattened. (Some predict a second wave). People are still going to get sick and die, just at a lower rate and maybe with a 100% chance of having a vent available.

Are the restrictions for recreation going to be tightened while the restrictions for working loosened? Are we going to have to obtain a license (positive antibody result) to travel for non essential reasons?
    I'm not sure we will for some time. At what point would you feel comfortable being in a crowded bar or lounge, either at a ski resort, a pub watching a game, the Station after a hike or even at the Sherman Adams building? My last trip up Monadnock was a Sunday in November, I don't know when I will be back, it likely will not be a Saturday or at normal hiking times. I do like going for sunrise and sunsets at crowded places when possible. Until the vast majority of people are tested or vaccinated, when you congregate in large crowds, you have to wonder where everyone's been. Crowded work pods and warehouse floors are going to have to change. Hospitals, prisons, schools. nursing homes, employers and places with high density crowds will have to change without testing.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I stopped being a trail steward for that area when the MTBs took over. NEMBA seems to have a much larger influence than ECTA these days.
    I was thinking of stopping at the headquarters in Bradley Palmer and volunteering. If just to be a dog officer (prick) in there. People who have their dogs off leash in there is another (pet peeve) of mine.
    Joe

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    We've been 'hiding' in the Southern Catskills. Even though it's closer to NY than the higher peaks, we have not met a single person in 8 hikes so far.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO