Renaming Mt Pierce

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Mt Clay attempt was way before the present hysteria. What's the new designation for the Presidential Range going to be after they have to rename almost all the peaks there?:confused:

Mods, please electrocute me if appropriate.

Proposed renaming: Mount Marx, Mount Lenin, Mount Stalin, Mount Trotsky, Mount Mao...

I do like the suggestion of reverting it to Clinton -- "no, not that Clinton." Fits in well beside Jackson -- "no, not that Jackson."

Who would rename mountains in the National Forest? The State or The Feds? Washington is a State Park.

To stay consistent, rename them all, Eisenhower, after his wife, (was her nickname a bit racist, am I remembering it correctly, Mamie), change Monroe to Munro, the Muffler Shop, Washington for Washington Irving (was he named for the President?) Jefferson, for Jefferson Davi, oops, George Jefferson, Adams for Sam, just rename the outcroppings up top, enjoy hiking responsibly and Madison, after Dolly Madison cakes, so we can let peakbaggers eat cake.

What will people be looking to change 100 years from now that we are doing now and missing how it's inherently bad:

Having an identity for groups of humans based on where they are from (African- American, Latin American, Mexican, Canadian, British, Finnish, you are all from earth, I don't identify as a Manchester Memorialian based on what hospital I was born in) you burned fossil fuels, made plates and cups out of disposable items and buried them in the ground or burned them so they could pollute the air, Not caring more for those not capable of helping themselves, or caring too much, let Darwinism work? In 100 years will they still use beautiful people to sell products, or think we were vile for using sexual innuendo & popularity to sell beer, tanning lotion, cars, almost everything. (what you drank a liquid that slowly altered your liver, or subjected yourself to the suns rays with lots of exposed skin, how did we allow people to give themselves lung cancer after knowing it was bad for your health over 50 years ago, why wasn't this banned in 1964? Will people still smoke or vape? We told them it was bad, do we owe them more? maybe owe them less? If you want personal responsibility for poor life choices, don't waste dollars and medical professionals time treating you for an illness that was easy to predict after 40 years of a pack a day habit

Did I see correctly that a French bus driver was beaten to death because he wanted riders to wear masks??? We still have a way to go to be better. I'd like to think that the prior generations generally did the best they could, as a group.

Last edited:
When someone sees the lists of deaths on "Mt Washington" they may not realize that any death recorded to have occurred within a roughly rectangular block of land bordered by RT 2 to the north, RT 16 to the East and RT302 to the south and SE and RT 115 to the west NW counts as a death or Mt Washington. In mountaineering terms, that entire area would be the Mt Washington Massif. Washington was a slave owner so its time to revert back to the one of local native american names, Agiocochook. Then the various highpoints would get letters like Wildcat. Or just go with latitudes and longitudes for the high points and skip the naming.

According to Waterman's book, the party that named the northern presidentials and started the presidential naming game had named the three northern summits reversed from the current naming, so Madison was Jefferson, and Jefferson was Madison. Reportedly the naming criteria was a lot more arbitrary when the first USGS surveys were made, the surveyors would ask locals what the summits were named. In some cases the surveyor's misunderstood and the first set of USGS maps for the area would have the proper local names on the wrong mountains. I have not confirmed it but a local in Shelburne claims to have made the comparison for some of the summits in the Mahoosucs and saw the names shift from the first map to the next.

Mt. 6288. For Owl's Head, good luck...

Mount do I really have do this. (Dismal Wilderness is already taken)

Or Mt. Are we there yet?

Mt. 96 Tears. Since the actual summit seems questionable, naming the peak after the biggest hit from ? and the Mysterians seems appropriate

They're (not me) on Pierce cause he wasn't as well known as Jefferson whom as did Washington have many many slaves period.
Probably figure to start there then go after the next guy. Do like the Chinese did. Erase the history.

I wouldn't characterize these efforts as "erasing history".

While I certainly agree that we should attempt to understand historical actors in the context of the time in which they lived, I view the current efforts to re-examine our shared history from the perspective of the disenfranchised, the oppressed, the poor, the nonconformists, and otherwise marginalized groups as a much needed correction to what I was taught in school.

Was never too proud of F.P......but figured us Granite Stater's were stuck with him. David Souter would be a better namesake in my opinion, he was even a hiker who appreciated them hills.

I wouldn't characterize these efforts as "erasing history".

While I certainly agree that we should attempt to understand historical actors in the context of the time in which they lived, I view the current efforts to re-examine our shared history from the perspective of the disenfranchised, the oppressed, the poor, the nonconformists, and otherwise marginalized groups as a much needed correction to what I was taught in school.

Well said, Tom.

A fitting alternative to Mt. Pierce would be Mt. Winant.

Was never too proud of F.P......but figured us Granite Stater's were stuck with him. David Souter would be a better namesake in my opinion, he was even a hiker who appreciated them hills.

He is still alive and hiking as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.