Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMC maps now available for smart phones

AMC maps now available for smart phones

The AMC now has six maps for sale, and work off-line. It seems there are six of them, for $6 each. They work through Avenza Maps.

The link below is to the article the AMC just released.

Brian

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/bl...kg-avenza-2020

Thanks for that info. I'm coming up to hike Unknown Pond in a few weeks and I have never been to the Whites before (always the Adirondacks). I have maps and all, but nice to have the extra security of having it on my phone as well.

There are eight, as they have the Monadnock and Cardigan ones as well. Those latter two are separate, and don't include the rest of the Southern NH Trail Guide maps (notably the Belknaps, but the http://belknaprangetrails.org/ map works with Avenza.)

The Presi map includes the Washington "summit" inset, but there are no other large-scale insets (e.g. northern Presis on the Presidential map; Crawford Notch, Franconia Notch, Waterville Valley on the Pemi one.) This isn't the end of the world since you can always zoom in, of course.

If you're used to Avenza these are perfectly nice maps. For those who aren't, you should be aware that these are not "digital maps" in any interactive/responsive/dynamic sense. They really are an electronic window on a static "paper"/PDF document. You can pan and zoom, but features don't appear/disappear, text doesn't rescale, etc. There's a cursor with your current location, but if you're slightly off the edge of the map, it might put your location in (say) the map legend. You have to explicitly call up the appropriate map; no seamless transition between maps.

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    There are eight, as they have the Monadnock and Cardigan ones as well. Those latter two are separate, and don't include the rest of the Southern NH Trail Guide maps (notably the Belknaps, but the http://belknaprangetrails.org/ map works with Avenza.)

The Presi map includes the Washington "summit" inset, but there are no other large-scale insets (e.g. northern Presis on the Presidential map; Crawford Notch, Franconia Notch, Waterville Valley on the Pemi one.) This isn't the end of the world since you can always zoom in, of course.
    Interesting and a nice technological step forward for the AMC.

But as with all things cell phone, only as good as the battery status. The display is what uses the battery up in most cases where there is service.

I wonder if F&G will soon be hearing "I had a map but my cell phone died so I couldn't see it" in forthcoming rescues.

Negligence or not? Hummmm.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Interesting and a nice technological step forward for the AMC.

But as with all things cell phone, only as good as the battery status. The display is what uses the battery up in most cases where there is service.

I wonder if F&G will soon be hearing "I had a map but my cell phone died so I couldn't see it" in forthcoming rescues.

Negligence or not? Hummmm.
    Well Put. That certainly is no "Who Ha"! Are the Maps printable?
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    This is already happening, as it's not like the AMC maps are the first electronic maps ever.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Are the Maps printable?
    Nope...they have to be downloaded through the app and I had to click some checkbox of "I understand this isn't a paper map and is only viewable through the app." You might be able to go rummaging around on the device post-download to find the PDF, but it doesn't seem worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    This is already happening, as it's not like the AMC maps are the first electronic maps ever.

Nope...they have to be downloaded through the app and I had to click some checkbox of "I understand this isn't a paper map and is only viewable through the app." You might be able to go rummaging around on the device post-download to find the PDF, but it doesn't seem worth it.
    I wonder how The AMC in all their conservation concerns feels about all the cell phones and rechargeable batteries that eventually find their way in to landfills.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Sounds like there is still some work to do to get maps to a 2020 tech standard. Mean time I'll take a water resistant/tear resistant map and a color photocopy of the section I'm using that day. That arrangement has not failed me in a few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    I wonder how The AMC in all their conservation concerns feels about all the cell phones and rechargeable batteries that eventually find their way in to landfills.
    I often have the same type of thought about the AMC. Enough I have not renewed in the last few years. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not allowed to use any power/gas powered tools for trail maintenance? That is my understanding. If correct there are plenty of arguments but it does seem counter intuitive to me to push a cell platform.

Quote Originally Posted by BISCUT View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Not allowed to use any power/gas powered tools for trail maintenance? .
    This a Forest service rule, and only applies in designated Wilderness areas.
    WM 48 / NE 67 / NE 100 / W48 / |62.4%
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Region Leader Presidentials-North
    Trail adopter Carrigain Notch Tr, Stillwater Jct to Nancy Pond Tr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    This a Forest service rule, and only applies in designated Wilderness areas.
    Can you clarify for me. I read the tool section of the AMC and it mentioned a lot of tools and safety concerns. THis was the AMC guide to WMNF I looked up. Not one of the tools mentioned was operated by anything other than man/woman power. Kinda reinforced the no power/gas tools. Couldn't find a clear statement on it. I'm interested to know what are the rules.

"Designated Wilderness areas" as in the zones created in WMNF? Or meaning the WMNF collective? Sorry for the PITA questions. I'm curious.

Can you clarify for me. I read the tool section of the AMC and it mentioned a lot of tools and safety concerns. .
    Iím not sure of your reference, but the AMCís Complete Guide To Trail Building & Maintenance, Fourth edition, has powered tools on p 105-110.

"Designated Wilderness areas" as in the zones created in WMNF? Or meaning the WMNF collective? Sorry for the PITA questions. I'm curious.
    Any of the Congressionally designated Wilderness Areas, such as Pemigewassett Wilderness, Great Gulf Wilderness, Sandwich Range Wilderness, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Any of the Congressionally designated Wilderness Areas, such as Pemigewassett Wilderness, Great Gulf Wilderness, Sandwich Range Wilderness, etc.
    Exactly. For some of the trails we've maintained that are under the AMC umbrella of trails, we've used only hand tools in the Wilderness Areas, and power tools are fine (including electric) in non-wilderness areas. Regarding the latter, when the batteries are past their prime, we recycle them.

I think a paper map is a far better option. I'll take a few pics with my phone (always have a camera) and leave it in airplane mode. Who knows what may happen and how long you may need the battery to last. What I started doing in the past couple years is just printing my planned route off CalTopo. If I plan on going off trail, I outline an area I'll be in and will do my best not deviate. I print 2 and leave one at home. Put mine in a zip-lock sandwich bag which weighs next to nothing.

Joe