AMC maps now available for smart phones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that info. I'm coming up to hike Unknown Pond in a few weeks and I have never been to the Whites before (always the Adirondacks). I have maps and all, but nice to have the extra security of having it on my phone as well.

There are eight, as they have the Monadnock and Cardigan ones as well. Those latter two are separate, and don't include the rest of the Southern NH Trail Guide maps (notably the Belknaps, but the http://belknaprangetrails.org/ map works with Avenza.)

The Presi map includes the Washington "summit" inset, but there are no other large-scale insets (e.g. northern Presis on the Presidential map; Crawford Notch, Franconia Notch, Waterville Valley on the Pemi one.) This isn't the end of the world since you can always zoom in, of course.

If you're used to Avenza these are perfectly nice maps. For those who aren't, you should be aware that these are not "digital maps" in any interactive/responsive/dynamic sense. They really are an electronic window on a static "paper"/PDF document. You can pan and zoom, but features don't appear/disappear, text doesn't rescale, etc. There's a cursor with your current location, but if you're slightly off the edge of the map, it might put your location in (say) the map legend. You have to explicitly call up the appropriate map; no seamless transition between maps.

There are eight, as they have the Monadnock and Cardigan ones as well. Those latter two are separate, and don't include the rest of the Southern NH Trail Guide maps (notably the Belknaps, but the http://belknaprangetrails.org/ map works with Avenza.)

The Presi map includes the Washington "summit" inset, but there are no other large-scale insets (e.g. northern Presis on the Presidential map; Crawford Notch, Franconia Notch, Waterville Valley on the Pemi one.) This isn't the end of the world since you can always zoom in, of course.

Interesting and a nice technological step forward for the AMC.

But as with all things cell phone, only as good as the battery status. The display is what uses the battery up in most cases where there is service.

I wonder if F&G will soon be hearing "I had a map but my cell phone died so I couldn't see it" in forthcoming rescues.

Negligence or not? Hummmm.

Interesting and a nice technological step forward for the AMC.

But as with all things cell phone, only as good as the battery status. The display is what uses the battery up in most cases where there is service.

I wonder if F&G will soon be hearing "I had a map but my cell phone died so I couldn't see it" in forthcoming rescues.

Negligence or not? Hummmm.
Well Put. That certainly is no "Who Ha"! Are the Maps printable?

This is already happening, as it's not like the AMC maps are the first electronic maps ever.

Are the Maps printable?
Nope...they have to be downloaded through the app and I had to click some checkbox of "I understand this isn't a paper map and is only viewable through the app." You might be able to go rummaging around on the device post-download to find the PDF, but it doesn't seem worth it.

This is already happening, as it's not like the AMC maps are the first electronic maps ever.

Nope...they have to be downloaded through the app and I had to click some checkbox of "I understand this isn't a paper map and is only viewable through the app." You might be able to go rummaging around on the device post-download to find the PDF, but it doesn't seem worth it.

I wonder how The AMC in all their conservation concerns feels about all the cell phones and rechargeable batteries that eventually find their way in to landfills.

Sounds like there is still some work to do to get maps to a 2020 tech standard. Mean time I'll take a water resistant/tear resistant map and a color photocopy of the section I'm using that day. That arrangement has not failed me in a few decades.

I wonder how The AMC in all their conservation concerns feels about all the cell phones and rechargeable batteries that eventually find their way in to landfills.

I often have the same type of thought about the AMC. Enough I have not renewed in the last few years. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not allowed to use any power/gas powered tools for trail maintenance? That is my understanding. If correct there are plenty of arguments but it does seem counter intuitive to me to push a cell platform.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Not allowed to use any power/gas powered tools for trail maintenance? .
This a Forest service rule, and only applies in designated Wilderness areas.

This a Forest service rule, and only applies in designated Wilderness areas.

Can you clarify for me. I read the tool section of the AMC and it mentioned a lot of tools and safety concerns. THis was the AMC guide to WMNF I looked up. Not one of the tools mentioned was operated by anything other than man/woman power. Kinda reinforced the no power/gas tools. Couldn't find a clear statement on it. I'm interested to know what are the rules.

"Designated Wilderness areas" as in the zones created in WMNF? Or meaning the WMNF collective? Sorry for the PITA questions. I'm curious.

Can you clarify for me. I read the tool section of the AMC and it mentioned a lot of tools and safety concerns. .

I’m not sure of your reference, but the AMC’s Complete Guide To Trail Building & Maintenance, Fourth edition, has powered tools on p 105-110.

"Designated Wilderness areas" as in the zones created in WMNF? Or meaning the WMNF collective? Sorry for the PITA questions. I'm curious.

Any of the Congressionally designated Wilderness Areas, such as Pemigewassett Wilderness, Great Gulf Wilderness, Sandwich Range Wilderness, etc.

I think a paper map is a far better option. I'll take a few pics with my phone (always have a camera) and leave it in airplane mode. Who knows what may happen and how long you may need the battery to last. What I started doing in the past couple years is just printing my planned route off CalTopo. If I plan on going off trail, I outline an area I'll be in and will do my best not deviate. I print 2 and leave one at home. Put mine in a zip-lock sandwich bag which weighs next to nothing.

yNAClURk-uH9B2n8MHj2Bi2Hfs_p2w39c61u9l8jKQFMLzzYgGDbhb_emap51P7-godnILwhhywhDy4VMb2TITP1z0O3BYyz8kN0237T-hELPy2kO6Pm8NLRAsViQK5_voD7ozW6Ma4O_y1_hRiP0ta5Zmw_tRG07nxi1RfI65IlsmUrTmz7OehWPTWAYELtZYtpTJ4tmseWzsiLLjzqmfI7PVFRoivkB4FX4KsF5IhhKnbFKVUs0yaFqRTlNAJnznPtzK80TF35fHmeSgQXp5ZfqdyiXULki2ugn9DdA93vAf1CviZIZzFNvtx9XOfxgtDSstYPfnf5n39QSON8FzvzhGm41hrszYZjKP4F9u1P5l7OetwtWRJ8LLAXncNwcy1oDqMkdrB3ea5OOT3jYPLY_Mu7ap467TTiyO4OaIDmpsk7RdcUu2_iWfJS83W-hRcRoBaHroupVDG6BDvpFEZKq-XfxrLEnP_qtcmJlJJhyEvlTZDCwwNp8gT-4CzBm_85AlkuknqTa9T8UxNSF3oMFiKbB5pltOoJkGoqgzAxVw6T8XYk8NUpi14YM7sCvHzYNcc1yD60iOoOPuBlTIW598IBfmOxePQB7a-v1koRD3ZYqDqw_RLqQ54DfXULqb_P72TzllcVsJNLjGlQJBUHEIHGG0WVq_VhQqRDZviyuoBgy5gAs4V6BlMQiXA=w1126-h603-no

I think a paper map is a far better option. I'll take a few pics with my phone (always have a camera) and leave it in airplane mode. Who knows what may happen and how long you may need the battery to last. What I started doing in the past couple years is just printing my planned route off CalTopo. If I plan on going off trail, I outline an area I'll be in and will do my best not deviate. I print 2 and leave one at home. Put mine in a zip-lock sandwich bag which weighs next to nothing.

yNAClURk-uH9B2n8MHj2Bi2Hfs_p2w39c61u9l8jKQFMLzzYgGDbhb_emap51P7-godnILwhhywhDy4VMb2TITP1z0O3BYyz8kN0237T-hELPy2kO6Pm8NLRAsViQK5_voD7ozW6Ma4O_y1_hRiP0ta5Zmw_tRG07nxi1RfI65IlsmUrTmz7OehWPTWAYELtZYtpTJ4tmseWzsiLLjzqmfI7PVFRoivkB4FX4KsF5IhhKnbFKVUs0yaFqRTlNAJnznPtzK80TF35fHmeSgQXp5ZfqdyiXULki2ugn9DdA93vAf1CviZIZzFNvtx9XOfxgtDSstYPfnf5n39QSON8FzvzhGm41hrszYZjKP4F9u1P5l7OetwtWRJ8LLAXncNwcy1oDqMkdrB3ea5OOT3jYPLY_Mu7ap467TTiyO4OaIDmpsk7RdcUu2_iWfJS83W-hRcRoBaHroupVDG6BDvpFEZKq-XfxrLEnP_qtcmJlJJhyEvlTZDCwwNp8gT-4CzBm_85AlkuknqTa9T8UxNSF3oMFiKbB5pltOoJkGoqgzAxVw6T8XYk8NUpi14YM7sCvHzYNcc1yD60iOoOPuBlTIW598IBfmOxePQB7a-v1koRD3ZYqDqw_RLqQ54DfXULqb_P72TzllcVsJNLjGlQJBUHEIHGG0WVq_VhQqRDZviyuoBgy5gAs4V6BlMQiXA=w1126-h603-no

Pretty much what I've done for the last 25+ years. Works well.

I consider myself an environmentalist. In the world I know, the AMC falls in the very few organizations that I feel honestly and truly does everything it can to be environmentally friendly. Everyone has a cellphone today, and if a map can be uploaded, and it saves a trip to the photocopier and a sheet of paper that will be tossed at the end of the hike, all the better!

Also, I don't know where you live, but where I do, cellphones don't go to landfills; they are recycled and the precious metals are used again.

I consider myself an environmentalist. In the world I know, the AMC falls in the very few organizations that I feel honestly and truly does everything it can to be environmentally friendly. Everyone has a cellphone today, and if a map can be uploaded, and it saves a trip to the photocopier and a sheet of paper that will be tossed at the end of the hike, all the better!

Also, I don't know where you live, but where I do, cellphones don't go to landfills; they are recycled and the precious metals are used again.
I understand the paper debate although it too is recyclable on a much wider basis than cell phones. Unlike cell phones 100 percent of that resource is recyclable and renewable. My maps have never been thrown away after a hike. On the rare occasion I have printed one it is usually laminated and kept. More of the time I use already publicated maps and or USGS Quads. I also find a certain nostalgia keeping and collecting these maps. Especially the ones that now date back decades. As The AMC moves more and more towards a digitized electronic environment they are only moving further from their roots. Yet only another example of their widely spread philosophical hypocrisies. What's next? A dancing logo gify stickman screensaver?

Last edited:
One would hope that anyone going into the back country would not solely depend on a map they have on their phone. Then again, probably a lot of people head into the woods without any kind of map information at all. In my case I downloaded the map of the area I am heading into as a secondary option. I have the official trail map put out by the AMC, and the map on my phone as backup. I have a couple other options on my phone such as GAIA, etc. I also just bought an Anker PowerCore 10000 to backup my iphone battery.

I carry the big plastic AMC map that covers the WMNF all the time in my pack pocket. Not a lot of detail but enough and it covers the 10 essentials checkmark. Its all I use on trail, off trail its almost always a USGS folded up to fit a ziplock bag. My friends on occasion have some sort of ap on their phone or a GPS usually loaded with someone else prior track. Its electronic breadcrumbs to me.